Barrel Cool Down?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalberg

Reaction score
I have read some posts here about letting your barrel cool down between shots. What are the rules on this. If you can feel any heat you need to wait? Also don't reload if you feel any heat on the barrel.
Doug

when i shoot my muzzy i always let the barrel cool completely between shots. in know this is a pain but it's the most consistent. i usually shoot at least 1 other rifle or slug gun with my muzzy to cut down on my down time.

For me...If I'm not shooting smokeless I feel like heat is LESS of an issue. But I'll be the first to tell you that your groups WILL go south when shooting saboted bullets if the barrel gets too hot. I usually take three guns to the range at a time so I rotate them. Usually by the time I shoot 3-shot groups in the other two..it's okay to shoot again. When it's TOO hot I've been known to leave the truck/AC running to keep the barrels cool!

In summer I take a couple guns out to the range. Also I take my time when I reload. All of this gives the rifle time to cool down. I swab between shots, then set the gun up. I then walk down to the target and check my shots. After I get back I run my dry patch down the barrel and then load. All of this takes on average about five minutes. It seems to be enough time for the barrel to cool down. When real hot, I will do this but change out rifles as I shoot so the barrel gets that little extra time.

I keep a small insulated lunch pail half full of ice water with a kitchen towel soaking in it. After every shot, I wring the towel out, and drape over barrel, towards the breech. It seems to help. It may as well. I ain't gonna let hot weather keep away from shooting. 8)

I don't what you do in S.C. these days, it's 102 right now! I just sit in the AC and watch Shockey and reminisce about the good old days when he was shooting a Knight Disc... :wink:

Keep her cool

I find the thicker the sabot the less effected by heat it is ( within reason of course).My Omega with a warm barrel shows better accuracy under those conditions with green Harvsters ( .44/50) than .45/50's.What you swab with can also help cool your barrel. I use straight rubbing alcohol and it evaporates very quickly and evaporation also takes alot of heat with it.Give the R.A. a try on a hot day.

Barrel Heat

In working up load/bullet/sabot conbinations with BH209, I've been unable to get real good (3) shot groups at 100 yds. with 1.5 to 2" being the norm with good combinations. However, in many cases, the first (2) shots are touching or within 3/4". I'm hoping its heat and not just me!!! Next trip I will cool barrel consistantly to see. Have not been allowing barrel to cool at all on (3) shot groups.

Re: Barrel Heat

coltchris said:
In working up load/bullet/sabot conbinations with BH209, I've been unable to get real good (3) shot groups at 100 yds. with 1.5 to 2" being the norm with good combinations. However, in many cases, the first (2) shots are touching or within 3/4". I'm hoping its heat and not just me!!! Next trip I will cool barrel consistantly to see. Have not been allowing barrel to cool at all on (3) shot groups.

That is my experience also and I have come to the conclusion that it is barrel heat that opens the group up on the 3rd shot.....

Thanks for all the replies, seems my scope and mounts are backordered so I won't be doing any shooting any time soon.

Latest posts

Back