Encore (old) Load Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semostickbow

Reaction score
Ok, I've searched until I'm blue in the face on this topic and can't really find what I'm looking for.

I have a stainless .50 cal Encore and want to know what load works for you all. I've shot power belts, SST's, Shockwaves with marginal results, nothing impressive. Loading for deer hunting where a 200 yd shot might be possible.

Thanks for your help!

Geoff

My Encore likes 245 Barnes Spitfires over 3 pyrodex Pellets.
I know it probably can't burn all that in an efficient manner but for some reason it works. Others have found the same to be true.... :)

I am sure that if you ask Thompson Center they will tell you a 250 grain Shockwave and two or three fifty grain pellets. That is where I would start. In loose form, 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 250 grain Shockwave. From there I would boost the powder charge 10 grains at a time until the groups fall apart. If I were going to shoot long distances, I would be weighing my powder charges to keep everything as consistant as possible.

Or you can shoot two pellets or three pellet loads and see if they will keep you accurate at longer distances. Another option is to get some 30 grain pellets and try 90 and 120 grain loads and see if that does not do better.

You did not mention what kind of groups you were getting at 200 yards, or what loads worked best, but 200 yards is a long way for a muzzleloader. It will take a lot of practice.

Semostickbow,

I have a stainless steel .50 Encore that I purchased in 2003 and I have taken six deer with in Missouri. In this gun, I have used 2 Pyrodex 50 grain pellets, with Win primers and 300 grain Shockwaves. This one is sighted in to hit dead on at 100 but I have never shot a deer past that with it and really could not have anyway where it was used. When I first got this rifle, I emailed Hornady and got 2 and 3 pellet ballistics for their 200, 250 and 300 grain SST?s (same as Shockwaves) so I know the estimated trajectory if I had to shoot farther with this combo.

I also have an Encore Pro-Hunter that I purchased last fall that took five Missouri deer using 3 T7 50 grain pellets, T7 primers and 250 grain Shockwaves. On this rifle, I have a Nikon Omega Scope that will hit as advertised out to 250 yds with this load.

The link below is similar to what I got from Hornady and shows that their 250 and 300 grain bullets are pretty similar in trajectory with 3 pellets out to 250 yards.

http://blackpowderbullets.com/hornady%2 ... llets.html

I hope this information helps.

Curtis

If your having accuracy problems with an older Encore and it won't shoot SSTs or Shcokwaves and you've tried all powder charges from 70 grains on up, you need to look at a few things. I went through H getting my Encore to shoot. Hinge Pin, Trigger Job, Pillar Bedding & QLA can all play a big part. It can be a challenge. Then there is the easy fix, sell it and buy a White. :D :p No challenge, almost boring :D

Latest posts

Back