Burn area hunting ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinguns

Reaction score
Anybody ever hunt a new burn area? My stomping grounds are burning as I write this and it doesn't look like it's going to stop untill middle september.

This year probably won't be so good.But if it don't burn anymore the next few years should be great.

oneshot

oneshot

Thanks for the reply,,,any info is helpful. Hunted a 10 year old burn and the really heavy stuff had not filled in yet and the deer loved the open areas but this year it looks like I will be hunting the edge of the burn. That is if it stops,,,burned 10,000 acres in last couple of days. Ihave heard that deer like to roll in ashes but have not talked to anybody that has seen one do that. I know that as soon as the ground cools sprouts come up and the deer can access food realitivly quickly. I know that the ground birds can find food as lots of seeds around here need fire to germinate but untill I can find a hunter that has hunted right after a burn I am still crossing my fingers that it will be ok. I do know that the best time will be about 3 years after but darn that's a long time to wait. thanks again for any info,,,john

I cannot speak for a wooded area but I periodically burn my tall prairie grass. Immediately after the burn nothing is on it but after some rains and several weeks it regreens and wildlife seem to use it again.

hunted a 4 year burn area this weekend and yeah it was good . Ground cover was about waist hihg where it normally is head to 8 feet. The view was about a mile where it usually would be about twenty feet. Didn't shoot but passed a few times on a little buck. I will update on the burn area that burned about 2 weeks ago . My hunt camp is in the centerof a 265,000 acre burn so if they live there I will know,,,tracking by the way is a breeze with the short grass kinda pointing the way. ashes also leave a good trail,,,,j,,

in 97 hunted a burn 30 days old the mule deer loved it! good luck an have fun clint

clint

Hey thanks for the well wishes ! we will see how good it really is in a little over two months. The area is closed now but most likely will open up in a month at least on a limited basis. Thanks again,,,don't get to many well wishes for anything related to hunting out here in california as everybody is so "anti" ,,,seeya john,,,

I am all ready

I an all ready to go and now the forrest service is saying they are going to close the whole burn area plus about 400,000 more acres in the guise of public safety,,,,darn,,,total closure will be about 1 million acres which covers just about all the public acessable area unless you go private which around here is about 800 dollars for a legal deer. I don't hunt from the road or pay to play so I am sol unless they open up that area. I will cross my fingers and update if poss,,,wah,,,wah,,,wah,,,john

Latest posts

Back