white thunderbolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are no longer made. White is basically out of business. There are a few that come up from time to time but not often. I bought an action and laminated stock and had the barrel installed by Doc White so I may have one of the last to be made. I have not had time to shoot it yet. There seems to be mixed opinions as to just how great the Thunderbolt is. Some of the early versions had difficulty with the 209 primers sticking. The breechplugs were retrofitted with the newer ones with slightly larger recess and apparently the problem went away. There is also a 336 primer carrier which was a last minute design that uses a .32S&W case with a rifle primer (similar to the .25ACP conversions). Mine is set up for the 336. I also bought a White model 98 bolt and breechplug so that I can shoot #11 percussion caps in the same rifle. The real hot set-up in White rifles is the UltraMag that they made for Sportsmans Warehouse. They were closed out at real bargain prices and the rifles are super. I am still looking for one of those. If you cannot find any White rifles to buy and want a rifle that will shoot the heavy conicals like they do you might consider the new RB7 (Rolling Block) from Knight. I think it is a super design and has a primer carrier built into the action that the 209 primer drops into and when it is shot it retracts the spent primer. Not very many rifles have the ability to pull the primer without a special hand tool. Recent reports are showing excellent accuracy and the prices are decent. I found a stainless one for less than $300 online. The barrels on the White rifles are mostly Criterion which is a division of Krieger and noted for exceptional barrels. The Knight rifles use Green Mountain barrels which also have excellent history.

As I said, Everybody has a opinion what is the Best.
I heard they when out of business. Buit was not sure.
Only shows that they were not the best..

My 2 boys , family members and I own only Knight's in-lines..

IMHO, They are the best!!!!!!

If you want to know the Best Traditionals ,,
Go with T/C, you will not be sorry..

gamegetter said:
Only shows that they were not the best..

I disagree with that statement!! I have two White Super 91's (.451/.504) while I haven't shot the .504 yet the .451 is the most accurate and well built muzzleloading rifle I have owned. I have also owned several TC's and still own a Encore which in itself is a accurate sabot rifle. The Whites shoot conicals and sabots very well. Whites problems were not with the product, but with management, advertising, and business practices.

I like my Whites too, and I picked up a used Ultramag from a shooter in Idaho when they changed the laws there. The various White operating companies made some good rifles, and Doc White told me that when Knight sued them that was the kiss of death.

Making a quality rifle and doing well at the business side are not the same skills.

jim

I own serveral White ML and love them all. To me they were the best made ml on the market. Granted White is no longer in business, but like Toytruck and others said it had nothing to do with the rifle but due to poor management, and maketing practices. Most people who own a White hold onto to them.

When I go to the range, and load one connical after another without swabbing and all of the other ML's there must swab their bbls and have difficulty in seating there bullets, my connicals goes down the bbl as easy as the first.

In fact I just came back from the range today shooting my 504 Ultra Mag and 451 Super91 shooting from 460-475gr conncials with the .451 and 496gr connicals with the Ultra Mag and all my shots at 100 yds were around 1.25 to 1.50 in size.

If you go to www.dwbs.proboards28.com, there is a 504 Super91 in a SuperSafari stock for sale. I have the exact rifle but in a .451 caliber and love it.

Also, if you go to Doc White's web site that Gamegetter posted, I'm sure Doc could set you up with a White Rifle as well. Nothing wrong with buying a rifle from the man who invented the rifle in the first place.

While the thunderbolt would not be my first choice for a White rifle, if it came down to giving up my White Ultra Mag .504 or my Knight rifles.. well you would have Knight rifles on your hands. No one is getting my White rifle.

I like going to a range and shooting conicals without swabbing and the ease of loading, cleaning, and everything else. The rifle is built like a tank. I have a couple thousand rounds through it and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

I concur with the White shooters. They shoot so good they're almost boring. I own 5 of them, and they all shoot equally well.

parkj5,

I have been buying used rifles since the White operation is not selling any new guns (Doc White might have one to sell you, but he is separate from the company).

Being used you take potluck of course. You might have to buy a gun sight unseen as well. If your body build is more tall and lanky, a White M91 or M98 will likely suit you. If you are stocky like me, a M97 will better suit you.

good luck finding a rifle...jim

Us'unz now haz us a new boolit ta shoot.

comparison.jpg

On the right is the now renowned Batchief Trashcan weighing in at 496 grains and packing a torturous punch from either side. The bullet is a slight variation of Bob Bower's original "NEW" design and is cast from a Mountain Mold. Remarkably accurate!!

On the left is the newcomer, the .504 UC Short cast from a double-cavity LEE custom mold and weighing a paltry 442 grains. It has yet to be proven at the range (but I think they will fly just fine). My molds have yet to arrive - picture stolen from Batchief. :D

As to the Thunderbolt - it is possibly the single WORST example of production White Rifles. An Ultra Mag, a 97 Whitetail Hunter, a 98 Elite, a Super 91, a Lightning, a Bison, or even a G-series Whitetail would be a far better choice.

Of course that is just my opinion.

I don't even have my molds yet. Dern Rattus!! :wink: Should be here sometime this week if he actually shipped them this time. A few have already got their molds, Batchief being one of them. His look mighty nice to me.

I was trying to get as much weight as possible within the constraints of the 0.9" length limit for LEE double cavity molds while still having a decent nose on the bullet. Could maybe have gone a bit shorter on the nose but it's already on the border of being a Trashcan Jr. :p
leboolit.gif

I'll rent ya my mould..... :lol: If the doc clears me to shoot this week,,,I'll see how they do. They oughtta fly.... :wink: If they don't,,,I'll SELL ya the mould.... :lol:

I am going to go and cast a couple hundred of them this afternoon. I don't have a sizer but I am going to try them anyway in the UM and see how they fly. I will let you know how they shoot...

Dave,,,measure the diameter "as cast" if ya would. Mine came out .507 before sizing. They may work in that sloppy Clerke barrel you've got.... :lol: :wink:

Latest posts

Back