First Shots...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Avenger and I were able to squeeze in some shooting time today so we head to the Dinger Farm, even though the weather was terrible.... Heavy winds, hail, and spirts of snow....

But it was good we were able to back my truck under the roof of one of the outbuilding and set up the bench in the other bay. We were well protectec but the wind beat the heck out of the target.

Both of the guns we were shooting were new to us - so it was a necessary mission....

Here is the target, i think Avenger will post more about his outing.... It is only a 25 yard target - but we needed to start someplace...

4-10-10KDElite73label.jpg

That Knight looks like it is going to be a good one. And Avenger's Renegade shows a lot of promise as well. Must have been a lot of fun.

cayuga

One of biggest problems, was we could not find spent patches. The wind just got rid of them. Westarted out shooting a 0.015 patch and i think it was working well, we did find one of those and looked like it held up OK, but then I had him switch to a 0.018 pillow ticking and it really seemed to fit jst a bit tighter, but not so bad it was a real effort to get the PRB down the bore. I think that is the patch he will end up using - sure would have liked to find a spent one... hopefully later this week we will get out again....

That was alot of fun being able to shoot my new rifle. Felt really good. Now I just want to see how I will do when the weather is better.

Rifle: As Sabotloader mentioned, I was using a T/C Renegade .54cal w/ factory iron sights. 80gr Pyrodex RS. and cotton .015 patches. Latter switched to the .018 pillow ticking. A bit harder to push down the bore, but worth it. The rifle sounded better and FELT better to shoot.

Target: The first 3 holes on the bottom of the target were my first 3 shots. I then made an elevation change and, as Sabotloader said, made an oops. Either wind, an anticipated trigger pull, or head jerk pulled that one high and right. Then, next two still hit low.

Granted this was only 25yds I was hoping to make a better sight adjustment and really dial it in. After we replaced this target with another and pushed it back to 50yds, my shots went all over the place. With the weather, new patches, and a jerky finger, I could hardly group anything together.

So, one of these days (hopefully better) sometime next week, we will do it again and REALLY have a target to show you all! As for today, I learned about my gun, I had fun, I got more comfortable loading and shooting, and I got to spend quality time with a new friend. Never a bad day shooting.

The only patch I shoot is 100% cotton pillow tick. Blue stripe, red stripe, makes no difference. It mics at .017-.019 depending on how hard I press. I wash it once to knock the sizing out, and after that I use moose milk and cut at the muzzle. Renegades are a great rifle. As for that oops.. that could be a number of things. Also my Renegade is a powder hog. It likes 90 grains. I normally shoot Goex 2f or Graf's and Sons 2f black powder out of mine.

Next time will be even more fun. In fact it is cool today, slight wind and sunny. About a perfect day to shoot. I have a request from a member to shoot a certain rifle, so that will be my objective today.

Latest posts

Back