On the right track w/ purchase of supplies/components?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankhead

Reaction score
Just a little reassurance please that the primers and bullets are ok for my .50 cal. T/C Omega. One shop had some Federal 209A primers but it looked like it said not a subsitute for 209 primers. Are Winchester OK? I went to 2 gun shops and was very surprised that neither had even heard of Blackhorn 209. I also have some Lane Tubes on the way. Thank you for the help!!

Supplies

Good stuff you got there. The Fed 209A primers work very well in an Omega. My Omega would not accept the Win W209 primers you have there. They were too long. Might want to check that out in your backyard before you go to the range. Good Luck and have fun, but most of all be careful.

tankhead

good start so far. Have fun and don't get frustrated, that will ruin your day. Consistent loading techniques and shooting will make your day a lot smoother.

Black powder rifle supplies

DECIDE ON THE KIND OF POWDER & Primers

? Pyrodex
? Triple Se7en
? Goex
? Black Mag3
? American Pioneer Powder
? Black Horn 209

primers and or caps know what your rifle takes

Winchester W209
Federal
CCI 209 primers
CCI Musket Caps
Remington 40% hotter #11 caps
CCI Magnum #11 caps
Dynamite Noble RWS 1075 caps

make sure your rifle can shoot the kind of powder & cap you select. Also decide if you want to shoot pellets or loose powder. Both will work in inline rifles with a 209 ignition system. Loose powder is cheaper. If starting out, I would go with Pyrodex RS or Triple Seven 2f until I establish a load. After that if you want to experiment with other powders, thats where the fun comes in.

TOOLS NEEDED

? See through powder measure
? Cleaning jag
? Cleaning mop
? Patch worm
? Bore brush
? Short starter
? Capper/de-capper
? Loading jag for the projectile
? Nipple pick
? Breech plug removal tool ? these are often included with the rifle. Also what works in some cases are a socket set with long extensions

CLEANING SUPPLIES (choose one)
? Isopropyl alcohol 91%
? Car windshield washer fluid
? Bore butter or lube for conical bullets
? Gun Oil ? Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL, Breakfree CLP, Montana Extreme gun products.
? Q-tip safety swabs
? Cleaning Patches
? Bore Solvents
1. Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
2. Butch?s Bore Shine
3. M.A.P. ? Murphy?s oil soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide

PROJECTILES

? Sabots for the caliber of rifle
? Bullets to match sabots according to the diameter of the bullet
? Conicals

When you select a projectile, often times the manufacturer will give recommendations. I normally start off with some 250 grain Shocwaves and some 300 grain Hornady XTP's with the sabots that come with them. This will get you on paper, sometimes shoot very well, and also get you used to the rifle. After that you can experiment with all sorts of things. Conicals are another area of concern for some. Some states require concials for hunting. Look at the BullShop Conicals, No Excuses, and Great Plains if you wish to throw large chunks of lead around.

I am sure I forgot some things but others can add on to this. Also I can not stress the value of a good range rod. They are better built then the one that comes with your rifle. They are longer, and can take more abuse. I save the rifle ramrod for hunting and show. Otherwise I get a good range ramrod and do all my loading and cleaning with that.

list

I used cayuga's list for my starter pack. If you want to trey all the doohickies and doodads later fine, but that list is a goodun'

cayuga, thank you for your time on this. Most of the supplies i already have for my rifle. I'm going to get the giRamRod and SpinJag so it will properly fit my ML. A U-View powder flask here and a nipple pick there and I'll be ready. I really want to start out w/ BH 209. i have a friend who has years of experience at this that i asked and has offered to go out with me when i first start shooting. He recommended I get a ML last year to increase my chances at getting elk/deer tags. Eventhough I got 3 out of 4 tags I put in for last year (bow for elk & deer & rifle for barbary sheep). The only 1 I didn't get was bighorn sheep. But there's only 4 available. I'm puttin ML as my first weapon of the three choices I have for each big game animal this year. :prayer:

Looks good. I like the SSTs but I have had better luck with the black sabots that come with the SSTs versus the low drags. They load harder but accuracy was better in all three of my guns.

Re: Supplies

rogo said:
Good stuff you got there. The Fed 209A primers work very well in an Omega. My Omega would not accept the Win W209 primers you have there. They were too long. Might want to check that out in your backyard before you go to the range. Good Luck and have fun, but most of all be careful.

:applause: Thanks for that tip. I'll go get 100 tomorrow to check out also. With a little added velocity at only a small increase of chamber pressure over the W209's should be safe. :D

Latest posts

Back