Shot the Optima today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
I shot my best groups ever today.
I know it's only 50 yards but for me it's a big improvement.

I shot the Optima 50 cal

The first target of the day was the best of the day.

250 grn Shockwave supplied black sabot
100 grn BH-209
Ferderal 209-A Primer

#1) 1745
#2) 1622
#3) 1672
Average 1679
Variance 123

Optimabesttarget.jpg

Yep,that's blood on the target,it was worth bleeding for.

Next @ 110 grns
250 grn SW
110 BH-209
Federal 209-A

#1) 1759
#2) 1729
#3) 1780
Average 1756
Variance 51

Optimabesttarget1.jpg

I shot most of the day but wasn't able to group as well as the first target but I had a very good day.I really like the lead sled Plus.

any day shooting is a good day

unless a gun blows up or something...so be careful :p

saxman1

Looking good... I went today also - bet you were not shooting in 30* degree weather with a good sized wind pushing things around...

Did you figure out why you were off so far with your pevious target - during deer season?

sabotloader said:
saxman1

Looking good... I went today also - bet you were not shooting in 30* degree weather with a good sized wind pushing things around...

Did you figure out why you were off so far with your pevious target - during deer season?

I didn't shoot the 45 today but it's next
I wanted to get the Optima ready for my hunt out west

Nice shootin Sax, that 100gr of BH looks to be a good load.

WOW!! that gun will shoot!! Nice shooting. And a good load to boot.

shooting

Good Shooting on that gun and owner. Where ya' heading out Werst and what ya' looking for?

Re: shooting

Bucker said:
Good Shooting on that gun and owner. Where ya' heading out Werst and what ya' looking for?

I'm headed to Sopchoppy Florida again for the late season (end of season) Muzzleloader hunt Feb 18-28.It's about3.5-4 hours west of here.

I want to shoot the Optima 50 this time as my host had reservations (unfounded) about the 45 cal's performance.

I think the poor performance came from the operator not staying on the gun through the shot.

Saxman

think the poor performance came from the operator not staying on the gun through the shot.
Is that why you got the lead sled? I am lucky, recoil isn't hurting that bad yet. Man, hunitng in Feb. in shorts? My Dad is in Ft meyers for a long vacay high 70's he says. Anyhow I will call and tell him he could be hunting down there, he will flip.

Good shooting. I'm a little supprised at the velocities. I would have expected higher.

marshall9779 said:
Good shooting. I'm a little supprised at the velocities. I would have expected higher.

I had the chronograph @ 30 yards.
I've ordered a debris shield so I can put it @10' where others are putting theirs.Better put in a new battery as well.

Is this the new Optima 209? I have been looking at getting this gun.

Mark

MarkM said:
Is this the new Optima 209? I have been looking at getting this gun.

Mark

No sir,this one has been around a good while.
I gave it away and got it back in bad condition.
Took the advice of the members here and now it's shooting good.
Don't know for sure but I rekon it's 5 - 8 years old
It sent mose shots downrange yesterday than in all the other years combined.
Optimaupgrade.jpg

Latest posts

Back