Encore 209 primer sticking

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flati

Reaction score
While shooting my cleaned T/C Encore this afternoon I had several Winchester 209 primers fail to eject when opening the action. I repeatedly tried to eject them by opening and closing the action but had to use a small screwdriver to pry each loose. The ejector (or whatever its called) is an original T/C one (that I added) that rotates out of the way for easy breech plug removal. I plan to clean the breech plug thoroughly tonight before hitting the woods tomorrow for the opener of our Ohio gun season so I will remove the ejector rod as well and give it a good going over. Any opinions on why this is taking place is appreciated.

How much powder are you shooting?
I had primers stick in my Omega when using 120 grains of BH. I went 100 grains and they came out much easier. With the hotter load gas got forced back through the plug fouling the primers. Just a thought

Like RidgeRebel said , and also make sure you have used a drill bit to remove any carbon build up down the center of you BP . If you have a good fitting primer ( no blow by ) and the BP is plugged , it will bulge the side of the primers and make them stick in the primer pocket also . That was the only thing that caused mine to stick like that, in my Breech plugs in both my Encore and Tradition pursuit pro i had . I have never used more than 100 grains of anything so too much powder has never been a issue for me . But carbon plugged BP's sure have . :twisted: :twisted:

I was only using 90 grains when this happened...down from the original 100 grains that I had been using. Tonight I will take the breech plug out and clean it thoroughly.

flati said:
I was only using 90 grains when this happened...down from the original 100 grains that I had been using. Tonight I will take the breech plug out and clean it thoroughly.

I bet if you clean all the carbon out of your BP with a drill bit you will be ok .

I came home last night and drilled it out as well as soaked it in some solvent....man was it dirty. I had to use a smaller bit even before the 1/8" bit. It looks nice now...shame on me. Will this affect its point of impact because it will be getting more fire?

A spotless breach plug and after three shots on the range again the third primer stuck.

primer

Are you putting too much torque on the retention screw of the ejector? Also wee if any burrs on that. Too much torque and that will not function corretly. A lot of guys just remove them and don't use them. I like mine in my Pro Hunter .

Try removing the ejector and store it some where for a week. You shouldn't need it at all and it apparently isn't doing much good. Polish the inside of the plug's primer pocket with a Dremel if you have one. Just enough to smooth it up nice.

I will disassemble and check it over, may just remove it like you guys recommended.

flati said:
I will disassemble and check it over, may just remove it like you guys recommended.

IMO, I see no reason for the ejector. I think you'll find it much easier to get your primmer in an out w/o it. I put in a new plug this year an had some Win. primmers that would stick, even using lighter a load then yours. After several shots I haven't had any issues. While bench shootin, I will clean the flash hole w/t 1/8" bit in between each shot. It only takes 3 or 4 shots for heavy build-up using the Win. but there is no blow back.

Where you huntin at here in Ohio? I'm east of Marion. Seeing a lot of deer. First year carrying the ML during gun. I did take a doe, now it's time for some horn's.

Im in East Liverpool Ohio, Columbiana County. I've had a bad season, mostly my fault...Missed a nice 130 class during 1st week of November with a bow and my motivation has been terrible from the get go. Its just getting harder and harder to get up in the morning, wander out into the middle of nowhere, climb a tree and hope something that may not exist walks by. See my mindset??? :( Battling the orange army this week hasn't made me more positive either.

We do 6 or 7 man drives. We get up around a doz. + a day hunting the same ol' patches. What I've noticed as the week has gone on, is the deer are bedding within 20 to 40yd. from the edge of the woods. Try settin up on a heavily traveled trail close to the edge of the woods. These seem to be the best excape routes.

You are exactly right...I have been dropping into some deep hollows with the idea that everybody will push them to me. Today I ran into everybody hunting the property clear down in the bottom and when leaving I bumped more than 15 deer before getting to the truck.

Latest posts

Back