Removing Rust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
I've got a bit of rust on the inside of the stainless Genesis. It's not on the barrel lands, just on the section above the crown meant to help load the bullet. I suspect that I missed oiling it because that section is bigger than the barrel itself.

However it happened, I'm having trouble getting rid of it. I tried using Bar Keeper's Friend scouring powder, which I use in the brewery with great success to remove rust and re-passivate stainless. The problem is that I can't get down into the barrel far enough to get everything.

Any advice for removing this rust?

I would look at some bronze wool 000

Can be used for just about everything that steel wool is used for, yet it has features that make it so much better in so many cases! Will not rust, nor is it as abrasive as steel wool. It's just about perfect for rubbing down a nicely blued gun that has just a bit of rust or crud that must be removed. It will not rub through blue as steel wool will. Bronze strands are longer and softer, so won't break down as easily, or shard off into work. Great for removing stripper-softened stock finish, or taking off "whiskers" during stock finishing.

Then clean it up with some good oil , that rust shouldnt show back up.......for awhile

I have some stainless steel wool that I tried (from the brewery again). Problem is that I can't get my finger down in there well enough. Maybe I'll try rigging something up with the wool and the dremel.

BTW, never use regular steel wool on stainless. It will embed mild steel into the stainless and it will definitely rust. Have to use bronze, copper or stainless wool on stainless stuff.

i would take some strands of that bronze wool wrap it around a small bore bronze brush (if you have one) and start some elbow greasing :lol:

I would put some of the wool on a Dremel or even some polishing compound on a Dremel buffing pad and have at it. Worst thing you might do is soften the ridge on the internal crown ... and I did that on purpose as that crown was cut too sharp. Just make sure it's evenly done.

Latest posts

Back