BlackHorn 209 in T/C Encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flati

Reaction score
I tried BlackHorn 209 in my stainless T/C Encore today and think I may be sticking with it. No swabbing between rounds and a few solvent/oiled swabbed afterwards for cleanup. My question is, how many grains are most of you using? I shot 100 grains today but I am seeing that some of you are using less saying that it is more powerful/efficient than T7 and Pyrodex.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Blackhorn 209 and muzzleloading!!! I love the stuff too. I have a T/C Encore Endeavor and I use 120g of BH209. I use a 250g Barnes T-EZ over that charge and ignite it with a Federal 209A primer. Those are the hottest primers on the market and you want to use HOT primers with BH209.

I was using a 90gr for a 300 gr bullet, and now im using 105gr for a different 300 gr bullet, black horn is perfect for hunting season i dont worry about corrosion, and supper accurate for me.

Great stuff ain't it! I load 90 grs. by volume In a Knight disc a Cva Accura a T/C Triumph a CVA Kodiak and getting great results with all of them.

I use a wide range of loads with it in my Endeavor, 90 gr with the FPB to 140 gr with the 250 FTX and the 200gr Lehigh. While it gives more velocity for less pressure than 777 I still limit myself to 140 max load with bullets under 300 gr and 120 gr max load with bullets over 300. The pressure difference is 13 to 15 percent less. And so some one else does not have to mention it I realize the recommended limit is 120 that is the manufactures limit because they do not want to be sued by somebody with a cheap gun.
Lee

I used 90 grn of BH 209 in mine with a 200 grn Shock Wave.
Leathal whitetail medicine very pleasant to shoot

I was using 100 gr, but backed off to 80 and worked up. Best accuracy in my omega was at 90 gr under a 250 gr sw with the mmp short black sabot, although most 3 shot groups were about 1.5" at 100. Should be around 1850 or so fps and good out to farther than I can shoot in the VA woods. Might get an extra shot or two out of a jug, and at the price ($41 at the local gun store) of a jug, every shot counts! Maybe I should try 70 gr...

I use 120 grains in my Omega under Barnes 285 gr. MZ's and 300 gr. gold dots. Extremely accurate with that load, any lighter load and I was getting bullet tumble, don't know exactly why.

I was using 90 grains of BH209 , i am using 777 in my Encore now .

120grs. of BH209 in my Encore ProHunter followed by a 300gr. Harvester Scorpion PT Gold bullet. w/ their crushed rib sabot...last group of 5 shots last PM at 100yds had 1 uniform hole....approx. 3/4"

My Encore likes 100 gr of BH209 and a 200 gr Shockwave. 3 shot 100 yard group 1 1/4" center-to center.

I use 115 grains with 200 grain Shock Wave, cci primer. 2100 fps. Have shot two deer with this load. Pass throughs and lungs were shredded. This is in a TC Endeavor. Groups better than my center fires.

I shot several deer with 100 grains of BH 209 and a 250 Shockwave. At 110 grains the group opened up a little with that bullet.
I bumped it to 110 grains for this season and am shooting 300 grain XTP bullets and a Harvester Crush Rib sabot. I got great groups, and will try it on deer this week.

My new favorite load for my Omega is 130 grains under a 350 grain FPB. Bullet goes fast. Bullet goes far. Deer drop on the spot. Shoulder hurts.

BH209

I just changed from a 200 grain xtp to a 300 grain xtp/mag w/ supplied sabots. I am shooting the diamond out of the targtets at 100 yards w/ that load in my Pro Hunter. I started w/ a cheap 280 grain chunk of lead in a green sabot that slid down the barrel easily and after shooting about 25 times and going all over the place on the target I brought out the XTP. Harder to load, stouter recoil but I was able to dial it in in 2 shots and having fun then shooting bulls. I see what people were talking about shooting a bigger bullet than a 200 grainer and the hit.

by the way that load is 110 grains of bh209

Shot my Endeavor just today getting ready for a hog hunt toward the end of the week... 110g of BH, 250 bonded Shockwave in a Harvester SB, and a CCI 209m produced a 100 yard group of 3/4".

Latest posts

Back