Patched Ball Shooters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Guys I am going to put together a small collection of patched balls stuff here. This will include things like patch material, cutting patch at muzzle, patch lubes, Patch lube recipes, ect.

Pre-made patch lubes:

Frontier's - Anti Rust & Patch Lube
Frontier's - Buckskinner's Blend Patch Lube
Frontier's - SHOOT OUT! Patch Lube & Bore Enhancer
TC Bore Butter
Trapper's Mink oil tallow
Ol' Grizz patch lube
Lehigh Valley Lube
Wonderlube 1000 plus
Liquid Wonder Lube 1000 Plus
Hornady one shot cleaner & protectant
Birchwood Casey magic muzzle cleaner <a href='/tags/77' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #77'>#77</a> black powder solvent

Make it yourself Patch lubes: If you guys have your own recipe, reply with the recipe and I will add it to the list.

Olive Oil & Bees wax - Mix bees wax in a small amount at a time. You want your patch lube to be a little stiffer than crisco, but not to the point your patches are hard enough to "crack".

Moose Milk: Have your typical Shot Glass ready!
1 shot glass of water soluble oil "Ballistol"
1 shot glass of Pinesol
2 shots hydrogen peroxide - 3% solution
20 shots of water
When weather turns very cold to the freezing point, you can add 2 shots of Alcohol to your mix to prevent it from freezing.

Another recipe for another form of moose milk:

Castor Oil 4 oz.

Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Witch Hazel 4 oz.

Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.

Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz

Go Jo hand cleaner

FrontierGander said:
Moose Milk: Have your typical Shot Glass ready!
1 shot glass of water soluble oil "Ballistol"
1 shot glass of Pinesol
2 shots hydrogen peroxide - 3% solution
20 shots of water

When weather turns very cold to the freezing point, you can add 2 shots of Alcohol to your GUT to prevent you from freezing.

Couldn't resist doing a little editing .. sorry.  :lol!:

What about revolver pills made of beeswax and lard? Place one between powder and bullet and you avoid fouling and binding problems when shooting a lot.

You didn't mention how much, if you intended to add to the Moose Milk, Jo Joe hand cleaner?

gunner69 said:
You didn't mention how much, if you intended to add to the Moose Milk, Jo Joe hand cleaner?
I believe he uses GoJoe straight on the patch and nothing else.

thats correct. I will however made videos of how much lube to use. Some smear them with bore butter or a thicker mixture and thats not the correct way. My percussion video shows how to lube properly with a runny liquid patch lube.

Lube

Hello, new to the forum but have been builidng and shooting flintlocks for over 30 years, some of which have been featured in historical movies, like Last of the Mohicans.  I have always sworn by Young County Lube 103.  Hard to find now, but still available.  Looks like soft chapstick, which some have said it is.  Anyway, I have personally fired 86 RPB through a .45 flinter without wiping.  Did get a little hard toward the end, but it really does what it says.  I've always used pillow ticking, cut at the muzzle with a small patch knife.

regards to all.

Gobblergetter said:
Hello, new to the forum but have been builidng and shooting flintlocks for over 30 years, some of which have been featured in historical movies, like Last of the Mohicans.  I have always sworn by Young County Lube 103.  Hard to find now, but still available.  Looks like soft chapstick, which some have said it is.  Anyway, I have personally fired 86 RPB through a .45 flinter without wiping.  Did get a little hard toward the end, but it really does what it says.  I've always used pillow ticking, cut at the muzzle with a small patch knife.

regards to all.
Gobblergetter,

I would love to see pictures of your builds. Do you have a website or anything?

Welcome to the forum Gobbler! I added young country lube to the list as well as where to get it.

Gobblergetter said:

regards to all.

That was a great movie.

I saw that. I wonder if they just ran out of stock and its no longer made? Its pretty much like bore butter from what Ive read.

back in the early 2000's when I shot BP alot a old timer gave me some stuff called Shenandoah Valley lube\cleaner stuff worked great..cut down on swabbing barrel after a few shots...I think its call Lehigh Vally now...it made shooting BP like shooting BH209..no cleaning between shots...and easy loading...

this is the stuff   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/561554/muzzle-loader-originals-shenandoah-valley-black-powder-bore-cleaning-solvent-and-patch-lubricant-67-oz-liquid

worth looking into

The old Lehigh formula is called Mr Flintlock now. He's the one on Impossible Shots shooting the flintlock, and is a member here. Although he hasn't posted in quite awhile now.

https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/f7-mr-flintlock

:scratch:
I found that mink oil is the best. At the range I've shot my sidelocks and didn't have to swab between shots and a few times I got as many as 10 shots before I started to feel resistance when loading. Remember, to keep your barrels as clean as possible. Even though I didn't have to swab, I did start to loose accuracy. Jonathan explained that issue to me.
Another point about using mink oil. It doesn't get hard in the cold weather. The patch stays pliable.
I bought dry .015 and .018  patches and the mink oil from TOW and prepared my own.
Good luck.
Ray........... :Red tup:

Mr Flintlock is really better for the range Ray. You won't lose accuracy, and you don't need to swab at all if used properly.

I agree with mink oil for hunting. I've preached that for a decade.

Muley said:
Mr Flintlock is really better for the range Ray. You won't lose accuracy, and you don't need to swab at all if used properly.
".... if used properly?

OK, What's your definition of "if used properly?
Are you putting the lube on the patch light, medium or heavy?
Are you lining the clean bore with the lube first, then dry-patching the bore before loading?

Latest posts

Back