Bad Powder but overall a good day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I decided to shoot my Knight Disc today. Its the old disc rifle with the orange primer jacket holders. But I wanted a good fair test. So I used a brand new breech plug, new primer jackets, and opened a box of Winchester W209 primers. I took some Triple Seven 2f, Pyrodex RS, and a new box of Triple Seven pellets. Also some Rusty Duck Black Powder cleaner to swab with.

I set a new target out at 50 yards. On a alcohol swabbed barrel I loaded the two Triple Seven pellets and some Hornady SST 250 grain with the red sabots that come with them. These same bullet/sabot combinations are near impossible to load in my Black Diamond. In my Knight they were almost what I would call slip fit. No short starter needed. And easy to load. Why they are so easy in the Knight must be the difference in the barrel.

I took aim at an upper bulls eye and POOF! Not a BOOM! but a POOF! These are new pellets. I checked the target and never even hit it. So I checked the barrel and it was empty. I swabbed again, and reloaded another two of the pellets and an SST... POOF!! Now I was kind of upset. I paid $30.00 for these pellets to try and all I get is a POOF!!

aroundthehouse003-2.jpg

So I loaded up 110 grains of Pyrodex RS and the same SST and pulled the trigger.. BOOM!! that was a better sound. I shot a five shot group at 50 yards. Why I got two fliers I have no idea.

I then had to try them pellets again, so I went in the house and got some old bullets I had laying around. Speer Gold Dots in 270 grain. Went back to the range, loaded the pellets.. POOF! Tried again, and POOF! Now I was real unhappy.

So I swabbed the barrel clean and loaded up 75 grains of Triple Seven 2f. I also had sized some bullets that were 460 grain Bull Shop in .5045 down to .502 for my other knight rifles.

aroundthehouse004-2.jpg

Those big conicals did real well I thought. And had plenty of BANG off real loose Triple Seven that was probably a year old.

Swabbed it clean again, and went looking for bullets in the house. I found some Lehigh 250 grain .452 and some harvester crushed rib sabots. They loaded nice and firm. I also figured they needed a good strong load. So I loaded 110 grains of loose Triple Seven 2f.
aroundthehouse005-1.jpg

I thought I had a real good group going until the last two shots. Why they changed and moved up on me, no idea. I was swabbing between shots. And that is not a bad group, just that I wanted a better one. With that powder charge there was some definite shoulder pushing. I might have to hunt with these this year. I then swabbed the rifle clean.

I had also found five bullets in the house I had bought ages ago, just to try. They are a 350 grain Keith Nose Hollow Point pure lead bullet. They are .429 diameter, so I got some Harvester Crushed Rib green sabots out.

aroundthehouse002-3.jpg

That was all five of them with 110 grains of Triple Seven 2f. Now that was a nice shooting bullet. I might have to get some more of them. They are pure lead and a deep hollow point. With that kind of weight, I am sure they would work perfect on deer or hogs. And they loaded real easy.

I then swabbed the barrel clean and took out some pop cans. I was loading two of the POOFING pellets and some of the conicals. I wanted to see where they were hitting and if more of the pellets were bad. I fired four more of the pellets and conicals. All of the pellets were bad. But surprisingly, with the conicals they hit pretty accurate. Maybe their underpowered nature was conical friendly.

These pellets have me kind of up set. The last pack of them I shot off were fine. Why this box of them was bad, I have no idea. Same store purchased from. Same brand. I need to look into this more.

Back