"Packin' Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanshi

Reaction score
I've long considered my Win. M94 30/30 "Trapper" to be THE rifle I'd take with me on any wilderness journey (lasting, say, a few weeks to a few months). It is not my favorite modern rifle. However the 16" barrel, light weight, ubiquitous & effective caliber along with excellent accuracy makes it a "shoe-in" for the job. Its only competition is my old Marlin 1894 .44 mag with an 18" barrel. But why carry a pistol caliber in a rifle when a revolver is lighter/handier than any rifle. But since we're talking "rifle" ability why not a "rifle" cartridge? The little carbine has a fine, old Lyman receiver sight and just feels, well, comfortable and just right. Only deer have fallen to it but the rifle/caliber can stretch well beyond that. I'd like to read others' choices for this or similar excursions that require weight consideration. I can't post photos due to computer failure but would love to see yours.

Out of my stable that would be my exact choice as well. A Winchester model 94 in 30-30 just carries and balances well. I also like how easy a lever action is to chamber another round without breaking away from the sights in comparison to a bolt action. I wouldn't hesitate to take deer, black bear, or elk with it. Cougar too, but I just don't run in to them or actively hunt them.
Mine is a pre 64 with a peep on it.

My "packin" rifle would be my T/C Contender carbine in 445SM. I can shoot anything from 44 specials to heavy loaded 445's. I would also pack my other barrel in 22 Mag for smaller game. together, the gun and barrels are only about 7# and they can be broken down to fit in a back pack if need be.

I've long considered my Win. M94 30/30 "Trapper" to be THE rifle I'd take with me on any wilderness journey (lasting, say, a few weeks to a few months). It is not my favorite modern rifle. However the 16" barrel, light weight, ubiquitous & effective caliber along with excellent accuracy makes it a "shoe-in" for the job. Its only competition is my old Marlin 1894 .44 mag with an 18" barrel. But why carry a pistol caliber in a rifle when a revolver is lighter/handier than any rifle. But since we're talking "rifle" ability why not a "rifle" cartridge? The little carbine has a fine, old Lyman receiver sight and just feels, well, comfortable and just right. Only deer have fallen to it but the rifle/caliber can stretch well beyond that. I'd like to read others' choices for this or similar excursions that require weight consideration. I can't post photos due to computer failure but would love to see yours.
Now that I’m in my 70s it’s much harder for me to traverse my old hunting grounds so last year I Purchased a Thompson center compass chambered in 308 which has a composite stock and a floating barrel they guarantee it shoot A one inch group out of the box. I had an old scope off my muzzleloader so I put it on and damn if I didn’t have a bull’s-eye at 50 yards with my old cataract covered eyes after the first 10 rounds I am also not as steady as I used to be.

Latest posts

Back