First Shot Gone Wild

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamnjams

Reaction score
Hey all, new to muzzleloading and having a blast. Got the CVA Wolf 209 and been shooting 2 50gr T7 pellets. On more than one occasion the first shot is off. I've tried shooting a primer through the clean barrel. I just purchased some powder, but only get a chance to shoot once a week. Having fun as I go. Any suggestions?
target.jpg

Do you run an alcohol or windex patch down the bore first to remove oil? The rifle may just prefer a fouled barrel. If thats the case, you'll want to drop around 20-30 powder down the bore with something like an felt wad on top and fire that off and then you'll be ready to load your main charge/projectile.

It sounds like that rifle has the clean bore blues.. I have a few of them like that. Like Gander said, you can try to foul the barrel and see if that helps. Make sure the barrel is nice and clean, but I am guessing it might have to shoot fouled, or aim for the first shot all the time.

Wild shots

Never thought about swabbing it first..My only concern is I hunt in state wildlife reserves and you're not allowed to target practice. Just want to be as close as possible that first shot. $12 a visit at the range. Will try your suggestion...Thanks

My Wolf always shoots low & right the first shot, I just discard that shot when I am shootings targets and worry about the following shots. I also always hunt with at least one shot through my gun prior to going in the woods. Something I just live with, and don't worry about anymore.
Doug

What bullet are you shooting? If its a sabot combo then the above suggestions are good. If its a lead conical, try wrapping one piece of teflon tape around the bullet. The tape simulates a fouled bore for the first shot, then shoot the next shots into that group.

Thats what I have to do for the Whites, works for me, and you don't have to hunt on a dirty bore and risk the dangers of not cleaning.

Shot gone wild

Hey Horsefly, over in Homosassa. As for as bullets go I've been experimenting, Toy.. Powerbelts,Hornady SST's and I just bought some shockwaves, but haven't had a chance to shoot em yet.. Thanks for the replies!!!!

Re: Wild shots

I swab the barrel with a alcohol patch, then a dry patch, then I pop two primers and load. I don't swab again after the second primer. My Wolf then shoots pretty much the same spot.

Tamnjams said:
Never thought about swabbing it first..My only concern is I hunt in state wildlife reserves and you're not allowed to target practice. Just want to be as close as possible that first shot. $12 a visit at the range. Will try your suggestion...Thanks

Different point of view

This issue probably has more to do with the barrel changing temp after the first shot...than anything else.

I really doubt fouling the barrel could have any predictalbe, much less positive outcome, and there is a way to prove this...read on.

Your particular barrel probably was not cut rifled, but rifled by another means(probably button rifling) and has some internal stresses induced by the process. When the temp rises, the barrel flexes enough to move your pattern, but once up to temp its good to go.

If your gun always shoots the first shot to roughly the same spot, say high and to the left. Your could verify this next time you go to the range and on the first shot lay the gun on its side. Sounds flaky, but try it, I bet the first shot is in the corresponting location 90? from the last time you shot.

First Shot

Ok I'm back...with good news. I swabbed the barrel first and then fired a primer. Poured 80 grs volume of pyro in the barrel and put the tc shockwave in. Damn near a perfect bullseye! I even reduced the size of my red circle from 5" to 3". At the 50 yrds I've been shooting, I'll take the days shooting anytime. Shot about 15 times and all but 4 were in or touched the circle. I contribute my misses primarily to me. I can tell the second I pull the trigger, what kinda shot it's gonna be. With the advice from you guys, the powder, the bullet, I'm doing much better. I still want to try the T7 powder I bought. By the way, was in Wally World and the only ML supplies they had were 3 30 round tc mag express 240 gr. xtp bullets. I bought 2 of them and can't wait to get back to the range! Thanks for the help!!!!!

Amazed !! (and a bit confused)

Ok, I can admit when Im wrong. :oops:
I'm seriously scratching my head though.....I dont get it ?

I clean the rifle completely between every shot, trying to remove that variable. Maybe I'm keeping it too clean :)

Glad it worked, and trust me, I'm going to see if it works for me !

Latest posts

Back