bore butter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have been using bore butter for a few years and read some bad things about it building up wax in the barrel. what is the best way to get the wax out?and the best way to clean and protect my barrel after cleaning with soap and water?thanks.

parkj5 said:
i have been using bore butter for a few years and read some bad things about it building up wax in the barrel. what is the best way to get the wax out?and the best way to clean and protect my barrel after cleaning with soap and water?thanks.

I was told to you 91% rubbing alcohol would do the job- The patch should be wet/damp, but not dripping.. The alcohol will dry by itself.. Then you can just use regular gun oil ( I use CLP) to protect the barrel.

I swallowed the cool-aid on the bore butter and #13 cleaner until finding this sight.. IF you havent researched it yet, from what I have absorbed: if you are using 777 windex (?? with ammonia) is a great cleaner, followed by CLP. If you are using Blackhorn 209 just use regular gun cleaning oil.

good luck

brian

Personally, I would use either alcohol or a good bore solvent like Hoppes on a nylon bore brush. Or a bronze bore brush if you prefer. Scrub it really good several times and then patch it several times. Then just use a good synthetic gun oil like B/C Barricade or Break-Free CLP after cleaning. :D

An easy way to remove bore butter from your barrel is to remove the barrel from the stock. Take the barrel outside. Now pour boiling hot water down the barrel. The boiling water will melt the wax out of the barrel and if you keep pouring slowly, it will make the wax float up and out the barrel.

Put leather gloves on. After you have boiled the barrel then with a nylon bore brush, dip that in solvent and scrub the bore. After that a couple patches with isopropyl alcohol through the bore. Then some dry patches.

Once you are positive the barrel is dry, apply a quality gun oil to a patch and swab the bore of the rifle. You are now protected.

Before you shoot next time, apply alcohol to a patch and swab the bore. This will remove the gun oil. Then push a dry patch or two through the barrel. This will insure that the bore is clean and dry. Now push a patch on the cleaning jag to the bottom of the breech. Pop a cap, musket cap, or primer through the rifle. This will blow clean the fire channel. When you have a patch that shows burn marks... you are ready to load and shoot.

As another newb, found this interesting. I just bought an Omega and of course have watched the DVD several times and have also been on the T/C website reading about their solvent and bore butter, etc.

I immediately wondered what was so special if anything about Bore Butter. I figured that their #13 solvent probably had a water base in order to get rid of the corrosive residue in the barrel??

Although new to ML'ing I have done a lot of milsurp shooting using Yugo, Romanian and various other old Eastern Bloc ammo, all of which have corrosive primers. Our WWII ammo also had corrosive primers and I understand that military solvents of that period were water based in order to deal with the salt residue in the barrel.

The good number of the milsurp community use hot water down the bore from the receiver end followed by normal solvent cleaning and a lubed patch before storing. From time to time questions arise on using Ammonia. Consensus is that it's a good cleaning agent but doesn't have any special characteristics wrt corrosive residue. Nothing wrong with it, but soapy water will work.

The Cowboy Action Shooting community is big on use of Ballistol, originally invented in pre WWI Germany. Ballistol is an excellent preservative and cleaning lube. Black Powder Cowboy shooters often dump their spent cases in soapy water and initially clean their irons with hot soapy water as well.

Back to ML: After sighing in my Omega two weeks ago, I used a combo of equal parts Murphy's Oil Soap, peroxide and alcohol (store attendant provided this info where I bought my Omega - a long time ML hunter/shooter). This potion worked in spades, but I think plain old hot water followed by a good scrubbing with Hoppes etc will also work.

I used a Ballistol soaked patch as a last step in lieu of Bore Butter. Break Free would also be an excellent preservative as the last step.

This seems to be consistent with the other replies here.

SWThomas said:
Personally, I would use either alcohol or a good bore solvent like Hoppes on a nylon bore brush. Or a bronze bore brush if you prefer. Scrub it really good several times and then patch it several times. Then just use a good synthetic gun oil like B/C Barricade or Break-Free CLP after cleaning. :D

You would prefer alcohol to the Windex or something else?

Will alcohol and windex do about equal job of cleaning?

brian

stick you barrel on the upside of a gas burner. The barrel heats up quick and loosen up the tiny pores in the metal. Dont get it too hot, but after it warms up, send some Hoppe's through it.

thatguy said:
You would prefer alcohol to the Windex or something else?

Will alcohol and windex do about equal job of cleaning?

brian

Yeah, I would just use alcohol.

Latest posts

Back