Opinions On Goex Pinnacle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiddler

Reaction score
I was poking around in some hidden nook (or was it a cranny?) and I found an unopened bottle of Goex Pinnacle 2f substitute powder. If my memory serves me, it came with the pawnshop package deal when I bought my used Lyman Deerstalker years ago. I started shooting real black powder out of it immediately, so I put this Pinnacle away and forgot about it.
Out of curiosity, I opened it and found it to be rather clumpy. I poured it out, broke up the clumps, and put it back in its container. I was surprised at how coarse the 2f grains appeared. Sorta like gravel.
I've heard that Pinnacle isn't made anymore. Was it popular in its day? Is it good enough to mess with?
I've googled this subject but couldn't find much info. Any opinions on this stuff?

I bought a pound of it several years ago to try. I believe it is citrus based made by the Goex people. I have only used it in my smoothbore a few times. I found it much harder to ignite and had several hang fires with it. The remainder is now fertilizer in my garden. I am not sure if it is still being made

I believe Goex was purchased by another powder company and Pinnacle was a duplicate product for some of the other offerings; hence, it is no longer offered. Shockeys Gold is a similar product if you are so inclined (not my cup of tea either though)

Pinnacle was made for Goex by APP and was more or less the same product. When Hodgdon purchased Goex, Hodgdon and APP were in a court battle that involved millions of dollars. No one expected Hodgdon to continue to do business with a company that just had them in court. The first thing Hodgdon did after the papers were signed was to advise APP they no longer needed the Pinnacle produced. Powder Inc. still has some back stock for sale.

Back