Need advice for quick acquisition sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonelkhunter

Reaction score
I need some advice. I need to find a new sighting system for this hunt.

I have an Elk hunt in Oregon during January. Conditions are very wet and cold.

It is a rifle hunt, but I want to use my ML. I have a TC Encore 209x50 with weaver style mounts.

I hunt in heavy timber. The shot opportunities are 30-80 yards. Quick acquisition is essential.

I have been using a low power Leupold scope. I need something quicker.
I have been considering the EoTech or the Aimpoint products, but am open to any suggestions.

Also, my older eyes make open sights difficult.

Thank, in advance, for the help. OEH

Although I would personally use the Leupold you have on low power, if that is not fast enough for you, an Aimpoint would probably suit your needs. I have an Aimpoint Comp M2 red dot sight on one of my AR-15's and it is very fast and accurate. It is a straight 1x. You may have to obtain a one piece Weaver-style base to mount such a sight if you are currently using a 2-piece.

Your hunt sounds like it will be quite an adventure...good luck!

That sounds like an exciting hunt. I too would use a low power scope or a multi power scope on a low setting only because I do not trust the RED DOT systems, and have no experience with an Aim Point. I looked through them, and they seem pretty basic, but again I have never used them.

I found a low power scope is quick to point. But it takes practice. You have to get to where the set to the shoulder and sight picture is natural. If it were me, and I knew the shots would be quick, the would just practice out to 100 yards with fast target acquisition on a low setting scope. I too have some vision restrictions.

In addition to my Aimpoint, I also have an EOTECH on a Ruger AC556. I actually like the reticle of the Eotech better than the plain dot of the Aimpoint. Both are excellent for CQB guns like AR-15's. The Aimpoint has much longer battery life.

One thought about your present scope...if it is mounted to high or too far forward or back, it will be slow to acquire a target. Many people use rings that are higher than necessary, and that results in the need to lift the head up off the stock in order to see the field of view of the scope. You should ideally be able to get a firm cheek weld on the stock while seeing the full picture through the scope.

For example, the see-through rings that many people use put the scope way too high for fast target acquisition. They are also very weak structurally and can be bent out of alignment by the weight of the rifle resting on them in a saddle scabbard, or even with hand pressure.

You can shoot tight groups at 100 yards with a red dot sight, but it gets difficult to do so at longer ranges. The red dot sights are generally 1x, so they have a large field of view. The good ones are also parallax-free, so even if the dot is way off center in the field of view, you will still hit where the dot sits on the target.

Red dot sights (at least the ones I have) do not "gather light" like a good scope does, and so they will not enhance your view of the target in poor light. Also, if the battery dies, you are SOL, as they say.

In my experience, Aimpoint batteries last for years; EOTECH batteries last for hours...

Thx for the replies. Just purchased a used EoTech 512 on ebay. Going to play with it at the range. I will let you know how it works. OEH

If you shoot with both eyes open and have a low powered, low mounted scope in a rifle that fits you, then you have the fastest setup possible, IMHO.

Back