Black Diamond shooters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes they're dirty rifles but oh my do they shoot!I decided to try a single port nipple in my XR .50, an Ampco musket nipple, and fouling has been reduced by about 1/2. Previous to this , RWS caps were blown to pieces, but CCI's remained intact.Now both are fine. With the flamethrower nipples #11 caps were unuseable.Most of the time all that was left of the poor cap was a disc over the nipple aperture. The single port nipples make the 11's useable too. The only problem is that the threaded portion of the plug gets cruddier than it does with the flame thrower, it would be better if the extra threaded section was smoothed out kinda like Knight plugs.I believe the ultimate in blowback control is the setup I have on my daughter's Traditions Tracker 209.The primer holder on the plug broke so I cut it off and d&t'd for a 1/4-28 musket nipple.Ignition is 100% with 11's and muskets and the plug has 1200 rounds through with no signs of erosion and its carbon not stainless. Omega plugs will thread into a Black Diamond , but are too long and need to be trimmed at the front end.The 209 port is too large for a 1/4-28 but a 5/16-20 will work. I dont shoot pellets , but the Omega plug will provide a shelf for the pellets to seat on. Of course a custom plug with those options would be best. Anyone out there make custom breechplugs? My BD XR is my go to rifle for everything requiring a bullet

I shoot a BDXR and have to agree that there is little that the rifle will not shoot well. It is a very accurate rifle. A while back, I had a chance to shoot pellets out of it. The accuracy was amazing.

As for the fouling, that is part of the BD that I live with.

+2.... The least picky ML I've witnessed and one of the most accurate. I have an XR and will have a std BD in about a month. Like you, I can live with the fouling and being dirty... just a few more minutes at cleaning time is all.

Back