Oldies but Goodies..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty1

Reaction score
Not everyone gets to enjoy their hunting passion with their spouse. Here's a few pics and dialog of previous hunting trips from forum member John Neslen and his wife Richilde. Thanks for sharing your memories with us John Neslen!đź‘Ť

My wife and her once in a lifetime Idaho bull moose.

KGVufeS.jpg

PML6XVp.jpg

zbV3BLc.jpg

bEfosOU.jpg

First day out for moose, 9-3-2014, 8am, walking moose shot through heart at 140 yards. Pulled down, through, and up a deep brushy gully to road via rope to Bronco. Then used a come-along to load him on ATV trailer. Opened up on ground, raised with front end loader, quartered, and hung in neighbors ranch cooler. Dang it is nice to have good neighbors with all the equipment that jump right in to help, and one being a butcher sure helps! Hanging meat right at 450 pounds, had 37" spread.

ps.......Nice shot by my Sweet wife!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For your viewing. My wifes bull had a longer antler! Both ended up a few feet apart.

Opening day of Idaho elk season 2011.....

DtQFUel.jpg

SCmvHc0.jpg

Richilde and I left the house about twenty minutes before legal shooting time when it was still semi-dark. We rode in the "meat wagon" (Bronco) for about ten minutes and stopped on a good vantage point for a quick look while waiting for legal shooting time. I stepped out and noticed a couple dark spots in some dry grass about three quarters of a mile off. I asked my sweet wife if she had her Swarovski binoculars handy as mine were in my backpack. She quickly handed them to me out the window. It took a few minutes for more light to confirm they both had antlers even though the color told me they were bulls. Slowly they started coming towards us and disappeared behind a small knoll for a few minutes. This gave Richilde time to get out of the Bronco, load her 7400 30-06 and get into a sitting position off the road about 280 yards above the trail I suspected they would be using. The bulls walked over the first knoll and then were out of sight for several more minutes behind another knoll. Our hearts sank for couple minutes as the bulls stopped after passing a fork in the trail still a half mile away. If they would have continued straight it would have been "game over" as it went down into a nasty steep and rough canyon with lots of brush and escape routes and they would have been gone before we got there. The lead bull turned around and got on the trail which passed below us and our hearts took a jump up. Wow I thought, this should work out great for Richilde to harvest her first bull elk. It was not long before the rifle went to her shoulder, the '06 bucked and she hit "Pay Dirt". Nice job, well done. Oh yeah, there was a second bull that also chose the wrong route and he too "Bit the Dust" thanks to a bullet from a 338. Our elk hunting was over about a half hour into the 24 day season. Now we thought, what are we going to do now with two bulls down in the bottom of this draw? Then a light bulb appeared, and it was on! Make use of Richilde's trac phone and call one of our volunteer packers. Too much trouble to saddle horses for only a half mile pack through the sage he said, I will be up with the big 4x4 Ford tractor with a pallet on the forks and we will haul them out. Talk about an easy hunt and pack, you ain't heard nothin' yet. A long with him came a couple strong young gentlemen and they also helped as we skinned them hanging from the forks. Then one of the guys volunteered the use of his pickup to haul them to the processor! The return trip from town had everyone all smiles as they had as much fun as we did. Of course the two thirty packs of "12 ounce steaks" was not much for all the help, so a couple of Richilde's famous apple pies were happily received. Fun was had by all!

John and Richilde

Enjoyed the pics and stories! I had the privilege of drawing and harvesting a bull moose in 2012 then a cow moose in 2017, here in Colorado.

Latest posts

Back