Knight KRB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TruNewbe

Reaction score
Just ordered one and was seeing if anyone else has one and any tips on loads and just general info on the gun, Thanks

A friend of mine and I each have one and they are extremely accurate with .430 Hornady 300 gr. XTP's and Harvester Crush Rib sabots. We have routinely gotten 1" groups at 100 yards with that combo.

The only disappointment is that the KRB will not reliably ignite Blackhorn 209 powder...hangfires are the norm.

But with any other powder, it is a great rifle. I use mine with iron sights and a heavy lead conical No Excuses 495 grain bullet driven by 85 grs. of Goex 2F blackpowder and my friend uses his with a scope, the aforementioned XTP and 100 grs. of either Pyrodex or 777.

You will like your new rifle.

wildhobbybobby... in your opinion, how hard it it to clean the breech area of that rifle. I saw the add in Cabela's and I must say it peaked my interest. But I really don't need another rifle, so talk me out of it..

wildhobbybobby... in your opinion, how hard it it to clean the breech area of that rifle. I saw the add in Cabela's and I must say it peaked my interest. But I really don't need another rifle, so talk me out of it..

I don't consider the breech area to be a big problem. Since I use Goex blackpowder, I clean the bore with hot water, and to clean the breech I just hold the breech area of the receiver upside down under the tap while running hot water and scrub it with a toothbrush. It takes about 20 seconds to clean it. Then I wipe the area with a paper towel and give it a minute to air dry while I'm cleaning the breech plug, then give the receiver a shot of WD-40.

The whole rifle can be cleaned in about 4-5 minutes, including disassembly and reassembly.

wildhobbybobby, What type of base and rings did your friend use to scope his KRB?

I'm not sure what kind of mounts he has, but I think they are Warnes...I personally would recommend either the Warnes or else the Leupold QRW system, with medium height rings to allow clearance for cocking the hammer and priming.

That's what I like to see Nimrodder. I have talked myself out of it. But I will be interested in your views.

WildHobbybobby, Thanks for the reply again My buddy told me the exact same two types. I go tomorrow to shoot it with open sights. I may take some pics and post them up.

TruNewbe good luck shooting your new rifle.. It will be interesting to see how well it does for you.

Well fellows I went to the range yesterday. Very long story short... My KRB fired 3 times out of about 30 trigger pulls. I broke it down right there at the range. I couldn't get the primer to go off. So took it home and compared my trigger assembly to pictures online and part of the block that holds the primer against the breech was broken off. I called Cabelas and no problem I shipped it back to them and they are sending me a new one. When it did fire..it was great. I can't wait to get the new one. I was hitting the target @ 50 yds. right out of the box. I will let you guys know how it goes when I take the new one to the range. Looking forward to it.

300gr XTP in a black Crushed Rib sabot, 90gr loose Pyrodex RS and W209 primers shoot the best out of my KRB. Good load and good groups but I need more range time with mine.

TruNewbe said:
Just ordered one and was seeing if anyone else has one and any tips on loads and just general info on the gun, Thanks

Sorry to hear about the problems. Thanks for Cabela's, love their service.
I love my KRB. I started shooting 100 grains loose 777 with a 240 gr. Hornady XTP and green sabot. My accuracy was fairly reasonable, however the crud ring build up was horrendous, worse than anything I had experienced in my prior in-line the Knight Am. Knight with 209 conversion kit.
I shoot Pyrodex RS loose in my traditional T/C Renegade, but I bought the KRB to extend my range so I next tried Blackhorn 209. What I found was that the load had to be tight over the charge to assure consistent ignition. Anything less than a tight fit sabot seated hard on the charge was going to miss or hang fire. I am shooting Winchester W209 Primers and want to experiment with the CCI Magnums but they have been hard to find locally. Regardless however, with a 110gr BH209 charge and the 240gr/green sabot load I am experiencing SubMOA groups and it goes bang every time. Perhaps the law of averages catches me at the wrong time and I sure wish we could get a BH209 modified breech plug for the KRB but I am sticking with this combination.
As for cleaning the breech area, the primer residue is a PITA. Windex and aerosol Brake Cleaner along with a tooth brush gets it. Too many nooks and crannies in that area in my opinion. Good luck with your KRB.

Latest posts

Back