Misfires

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndeer

Reaction score
Who has never experienced a single misfire / hangfire while shooting BH 209 in a TC gun and what is the primer and load you use and which gun are you using ? On the flip side, who has never had a misfire while using a Knight rifle and what load, primer, and gun do you use? Don't include any misfires due to a dirty breech plug . I currently am shooting a Knight , but may want to get a TC. thanks

I don't fall into either of the categories. I've had a misfire with both. Many on this forum have experimented with many primers, sabots, bullet combination with BH209 to determine if they would misfire or not. To test to the limit, it needs to fail, and so almost everyone who has done some experiment has had a misfire or two.

Hunting wise, I've have had ONE misfire with my omega. I am not blaming it on the gun at all. I loaded up to go hunting, short black harvestor almost fell down the barrel. Didn't think anything of it. Aim at deer and the normal kaboom, was replaced by a ka........................boom. Delayed hangfire, No deer. I should have shot that load out. Clearly there was an issue with the sabot.

Also had a misfire hunting with Knight Disc Extreme using FPJ. Issue was the breach plug had ~25 shots on it, with no cleaning. Simply drilling out bp with a drill bit fixed the problem.

The key to BH209 success is having a tight fitting bullet/sabot combination. Any of the new TC's should have no issues, and the Knights with the FJP, on non FPJ should be just fine to go. Hot primers help, but aren't necessary. I've used regular CCI in the omega and Fed 209A in the Knight, because it has a longer flame channel to the powder. Don't know if I need it or not, but it works for me.

You might want to wait until the new Knight Ultimate Slam comes out, or go with the Triumph, or Omega. All will work wonderfully!

I have never had a hangfire in my triumph using fed.209a 80-120g.bh209 and any tc or harvester sabot and sst-shockwave bullets. I have only shot 1 jug thou. it also shoots great out of my knight shadow so far but i have not shot the knight in real cold temps.in the triumph i settled in @100g bh 250g sst in harvester short black.this triumph will never shoot anything but bh209 again.hope this helps. karl

I am close to the 20th can of BH shooting a Triumph a lot and a Omega some so far I have not experanced any hang or miss fires.
I use win 209 and CCI209M I will be trying some STS Rem. so far so good I have only used about 50 of them. I like to test and experiment I normally start at 90 gr and go up to 120gr mostly wit 250 gr bullets though I have shoot some 200 gr 50/40 and some 300gr bullets. Lee

Never had one... I've shot between 100 and 120 grains in 3 different Knight Disc's using the standard plug and the red FPJ's and one KP1. Three different TC's with the speed breech and a CVA Accura. I use the CCI 209m primers and mostly Harvester sabots.

I have had a few misfires using BH209, but they were my fault for trying to stretch the string of shots w/o cleaning the Breach Plug, usually past a dozen or so shots. NOW....I clean plug after ea . 10 shots , just to be sure. No misfires after adopting this procedure.

Art Sehnke :wink:

I had one slight hangfire in my Encore. But since I started rapping the barrel with tht palm of my hand after loading the powder I've had none. :!:

No misfires in my Omega through 5 bottles of BH209. I don't count the number of shots on a cleaned breach plug, before cleaning again. When the smoke blow back, on a dirty breech plug, gets to be noticeable, the carbon is drilled out, and it is good to go, for maybe 40 shots, maybe less.

P.S. Three hangfires in my Accura; quit using crush rib sabots...... annoyance fixed.

Rock Fish

But since I started rapping the barrel with tht palm of my hand after loading the powder I've had none

Rock, I think this is a very significant statement - the powder must be settled together on top of the breech plug.

never a hangfire w/ t/c pro hunter. so far 5 cans bh 209. 110 grs w/ nosler 260 gr .45 cal partition with mmp short black sabot and win 209 primers.

No misfires, hangfires or any problems with my T/C Encore Endeavor and my Remington Genesis. I've used nothing but BH209 from the start. The Genesis has seen only Remington STS primers. The Endeavor has seen Remington STS, Federal 209A, and CCI 209M primers. All have worked great.

Only had one hang fire and one misfires using Bh209 and Winchester primers in my encore .

I've never had one in my Omega or my Endeavor. I'm using 110gr. BH209 with the Harvester short black sabot, a 250 gr. shockwave and a Win 209 primer. I've also used the .430 Hornady XTP 300 gr. and the 265 gr. FTX with both the Harvester Green and Green crush rib sabots. No hangfires so far.

Oh yea, I have also used the 200gr shockwave with the blue sabot with no problems. I think the key is a tight fitting sabot and a clean breechplug.

tndeer said:
Who has never experienced a single misfire / hangfire while shooting BH 209 in a TC gun and what is the primer and load you use and which gun are you using ? On the flip side, who has never had a misfire while using a Knight rifle and what load, primer, and gun do you use? Don't include any misfires due to a dirty breech plug . I currently am shooting a Knight , but may want to get a TC. thanks

I've never had a misfire in two different Triumphs and one Omega with Blackhorn 209/CCI 209. I used several different sabot/bullet combinations..

Have had several misfires with a blue Disc Elite .50 using different primers(CCI 209/Fed 209A) and loads and both ignition systems.

I have had zero misfires in a SS/TH Disc Extreme .50 using several different loads and mostly CCI 209s.. This Disc Extreme has a tight bore...that REALLY helps IMO..

By mis-fires I really mean DELAYED-fire. ALWAYS fires, just a slight delay..

Hangfires

Never had one using BH and a 209 M out of my Pro Hunter, I have shot 32/ 110 grain measured loads w/no swabbibg.

Never with TC Omega, CVA Wolf, CVA Kodiak and Knight Bighorn.

Uses Win209 and CCI209M with tight fit sabot.

T/C Omega with Win209 or Fed209A--no misfires or hangfires after about 450+ shots (8 containers) with BH209. I have shot all kinds of different loads, but mostly 300 XTP's or 250 SST's with Harvester sabots. The 195 .40 Barnes and the 200 grn ShockWaves with the Blue MMP & 120 grns BH209 is excellent too.

I clean and "drill" the breech plug after every range session--20 to 30 shots.

Latest posts

Back