Savage/Cabela's gets it right!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big 6X6,

You said. "No Brainer" to my question about which gun you would prefer. The Knight Ultimate Slam or the Savage 10ML BP. I assume you meant the Savage right? Why do think the Savage will be better than the new Knight. Thanks for the great Report. My wife's going to love it when I tell her I want a new muzzleloader.

I have to ask: What did they change in the Savage so it is not safe to shoot smokeless in it anymore. OR do they just say it is black powder only so Cabela's would put it on the shelves?
Art

good morning all

I was wanting to know why cant you shoot smoke less out of a BP gun

is the smoke less barrel thinker and the black powder barrel

Sam208

Big6x6,
did you have to take the barrel off to clean the gun, ie separate the stock and the action?

thanks

So let's talk about price...
The Cabela's/Savage 10ML BP retails for $699.99. Now that's really a LOT of money for a muzzleloader. So what does one get for $700.00?

1. The strongest muzzleloader action available.
2. The best factory muzzleloader trigger in the industry.
3. The only muzzleloader function fired before it leaves the factory.
4. The ONLY muzzleloader breechplug that can be cleaned from stem to stern and can be restored to practically as new condition.
5. A muzzleloader that will shoot with the best of them.
6. Cabela's gun case INCLUDED.
7. VERY nice base/rings INCLUDED.(although I didn't use them)
8. 3/8 inch socket head INCLUDED
9. Standard 10ML BP accessories- short starter, ventliner & stock Allen wrenches, Cable Lock firearms lock, 2 extra ventliners, small amount breechplug/ventliner lube, earplugs, target, and owners/users manual.
10. The best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

I think it would be $700.00 well spent!

I think the statement about "$700 is a lot of money for a muzzleloader" remains the most valid point made. I can find two triumphs for that price when not on sale, 3 if you take advantage of wal-mart's sales.
1) I can find a gun case myself, thank you.
2)I don't mind that someone esle hasn't function fired my gun before selling it to me. It's never seemed to have been an issue.
3)Who cares if it includes base/rings if you are going to go drop another $100 (or more) for heavy duty steel base/rings such as those by warne
4) 3/8" socket head and socket wrench that I'll have to keep track of when I can just use my fingers on a triumph
5) I'm glad that it can keep up with the accuracy of my triumph
6 The trigger is nice, but is it $300-400 nice?
7) I don't understand the point about restoring the breech plug to new.
8) Strongest action, but can't shoot smokeless so what's the point?

The short of it: for $700 I can get a ML that is crazy accurate and easy to use without need for additional tools, top it with the best rings and bases, an ultimate slam scope, a gun case, and all the accessories/shooting supplies I will need for the next year. I'll miss out on the accutrigger, but I'll take the rest of the above over the accutrigger. So is the $700 on the savage money well-spent? Not by my reckoning.

+1 on all your comments plus the fact it isn't left handed friendly.

hjbuys said:
So let's talk about price...
The Cabela's/Savage 10ML BP retails for $699.99. Now that's really a LOT of money for a muzzleloader. So what does one get for $700.00?

1. The strongest muzzleloader action available.
2. The best factory muzzleloader trigger in the industry.
3. The only muzzleloader function fired before it leaves the factory.
4. The ONLY muzzleloader breechplug that can be cleaned from stem to stern and can be restored to practically as new condition.
5. A muzzleloader that will shoot with the best of them.
6. Cabela's gun case INCLUDED.
7. VERY nice base/rings INCLUDED.(although I didn't use them)
8. 3/8 inch socket head INCLUDED
9. Standard 10ML BP accessories- short starter, ventliner & stock Allen wrenches, Cable Lock firearms lock, 2 extra ventliners, small amount breechplug/ventliner lube, earplugs, target, and owners/users manual.
10. The best customer service I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

I think it would be $700.00 well spent!

I think the statement about "$700 is a lot of money for a muzzleloader" remains the most valid point made. I can find two triumphs for that price when not on sale, 3 if you take advantage of wal-mart's sales.
1) I can find a gun case myself, thank you.
2)I don't mind that someone esle hasn't function fired my gun before selling it to me. It's never seemed to have been an issue.
3)Who cares if it includes base/rings if you are going to go drop another $100 (or more) for heavy duty steel base/rings such as those by warne
4) 3/8" socket head and socket wrench that I'll have to keep track of when I can just use my fingers on a triumph
5) I'm glad that it can keep up with the accuracy of my triumph
6 The trigger is nice, but is it $300-400 nice?
7) I don't understand the point about restoring the breech plug to new.
8) Strongest action, but can't shoot smokeless so what's the point?

The short of it: for $700 I can get a ML that is crazy accurate and easy to use without need for additional tools, top it with the best rings and bases, an ultimate slam scope, a gun case, and all the accessories/shooting supplies I will need for the next year. I'll miss out on the accutrigger, but I'll take the rest of the above over the accutrigger. So is the $700 on the savage money well-spent? Not by my reckoning.

:shock: :wink:

Plus,... I don't like the Long Snout of it's breech plug :p

I really like this gun. I like the traditional bolt action look. Not real fond of the $700 price tag but I may have to get one anyway.

Chuck,

Have you tried to interchange any of your stocks from your 10ML-II's?

Let me know if they are interchangable..

flounder said:
I have to ask: What did they change in the Savage so it is not safe to shoot smokeless in it anymore. OR do they just say it is black powder only so Cabela's would put it on the shelves?
Art

That makes more sense to me!

Big6x6,
did you have to take the barrel off to clean the gun, ie separate the stock and the action?

thanks

You absolutely do not. Of course once it gets close to hunting season I leave the barreled action in the stock.

Chuck,

Have you tried to interchange any of your stocks from your 10ML-II's?

Let me know if they are interchangable..

I just stuck the 10ML BP into an extra 10ML-II laminate stock I have...perfect fit!

Answering previous questions:

Stock pictures 10ML BP vs. 10ML-II synthetic stock...it is EASY to see the added material and bracing..

IMG_0191.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

10ML BP breechplug....notice how one may clean the carbon buildup completely thru and thru. Remove liner and clean out flash channel with a 5/32(#21) drill bit completely thru the center of the breechplug...

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

Lube ventliner threads and re-install and you have basically returned the breechplug to new condition.

IMG_0195.JPG

Bases/rings

IMG_0196.JPG

Bases looks really good and I started to use them. Rings...I know MANY use these type of rings every day but not my style...they would probably be fine in most instances...

Doohan said:
Chuck,

Can you swap the bp without removing the bolt ?

No you can't. That's same as it's always been.. Breechplug NOT satinless steel BTW...

Doohan said:
well..... phoooey!

cant get a socket in there?

If one had the correct length extension using a 1/4 inch socket...it just might work! :idea:

black powder said:
Big6x6,is the BREECH PLUG made of stainless steel ??????????

Why do you ask that? I have noticed blow back with SS breech plugs in the Savage. The standard plug has none. I would like to hear your findings on this.

Grouse said:
black powder said:
Big6x6,is the BREECH PLUG made of stainless steel ??????????

Why do you ask that? I have noticed blow back with SS breech plugs in the Savage. The standard plug has none. I would like to hear your findings on this.

because i shoot T7 which is corrosive ,S/S seems to stand up better than steel ,easier to clean ...but no big deal i can live with a steel breech plug

black powder said:
because i shoot T7 which is corrosive ,S/S seems to stand up better than steel ,easier to clean ...but no big deal i can live with a steel breech plug

PA machine sells them if you want one. 610-923-9234

Back