209 primers for BH209!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxTrapper

Reaction score
All I could find at the time was the Rem. 209 STS(skeet,trap,?) Primers are these hot enough? should they work fine? I will try but being new to the BP world not sure what to look for or compare with. Thanks!!!
Allen

primers

If o look one primer that works on 209 is the CCI 209M. 209 needs a hot shot to start it off.

All I use is the Remington STS 209 Primers with BH209 and they've worked perfectly. You will have no issues.

No problem. And besides that, magnum primers are going to be dirtier.

TxTrapper said:
All I could find at the time was the Rem. 209 STS(skeet,trap,?) Primers are these hot enough? should they work fine? I will try but being new to the BP world not sure what to look for or compare with. Thanks!!!
Allen

It all depends on what rifle/breech plug you are using. A breech plug with a good sealed primer pocket may be just fine, but one that isn't may give you problems.

Grouse said:
I dont care what breech plug you got. Use a Federal 209A primer with BH209. :)

Unless you can't find them in your area... Then Remington STS, CCI, and Winchester will work just as good as Federal.

Busta

My 2 bit experiments with

Cheddite
CCI 209M
Federal 209A

The Feds are good and i would trust them in rotten cold weather. But SW you are right sometimes Federal's are hard to find - the military and the government takes a big chunk of them.

This might provide you with more information...

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Technical3.html

PERSONALLY....I've used W-W 209s, CCI 209s, and Fed 209As but I'ved mostly used the CCI 209s...never had a problem with the muzzleloaders I've used...mostly Triumphs and Omegas. No doubt I've I were going to hunt where it was really cold, I'd use a Federal 209A but I'd do that with any powder.

Latest posts

Back