Got the Accura ready for in the morning...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
PICT0329.jpg

Maybe I'm gust a glutton for punishment, hard headed, or just plain dumb-but I'm on a mission. Before I get to far into this rant and just for informational purposes, I want y'all to know that I have a TC Pro-Hunter lying in wait that is shooting a 3/4" 100 yard group with a bonded 250 Shockwave over 120 grains of BH 209. Ok, now that that's off my chest we can continue... the thing that intrigues me is that most red necks/novice black powder hunters shoot the first thing that grabs their attention at Wal-Mart, which is most often Power Belts. We have all heard or experienced for our selves a failure of these bullets as I did when killing my first muzzleloader deer,,, of course like most people I pushed a small .45 195 grain bullet too fast with 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets and had too close of a shot at a thirty yard doe... luckily I found her but the bullet exploded.

Tomorrow morning I will be heading to the the woods armed with the red necks choice. Kill deer they will, we all know this, but how well will they perform? Most likely my shot will be under fifty yards and could be in single digits... so we will see. By the way, the gun and load did shoot pretty darn well,,, that is a 100 yard three shot group that measured 1 1/8". The load is 80 grains of Pyrodex RS, a 348 grain PB HP, and a 777 primer. Wish me luck... :shock:

You won't need luck with that combo. My father and I shot the 348's for years over 90 gr of pyro RS. Never had to do much tracking. Didn't care for the lighter ones, though.

That's what I'm hoping and that's exactly what I'm basing my hypothesis on... low powder charges and heavy PB's = dead crittters,,, and I'm saying that the 348's should be the minimum copper Power Belt weight for deer sized game.

Well you would think the State of S.C. would be happy only screwing me over twice a month, but such is not the case. My doe tags were supposed to come in the mail by now but no such luck. The stand that I was going to take the Accura to in the morning is loaded with does,,, oh well I guess I'll take the stick n' string instead.

Got blowed out going in... :( I'm tell'n ya a big long nosed doe is harder to kill than any buck on the planet. I'll be bow hunting this evening about 80 yards behind my house,,, I will more than likely have a shot around seven or so. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

That's a good Idea Rich... they do an awful lot of speeding. :wink:

flint head said:
Got blowed out going in... :( I'm tell'n ya a big long nosed doe is harder to kill than any buck on the planet. I'll be bow hunting this evening about 80 yards behind my house,,, I will more than likely have a shot around seven or so. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

That's a good Idea Rich... they do an awful lot of speeding. :wink:

Big long nose doe...I like that ha ha .There are some smart ones out there.

Good luck this evening. I'll be putting the finishing touches on my food/kill plot. I guess I'm lucky as I got my doe tags weeks ago.

I am thinking 80 gr might be about right. With the 90 gr out of a black mountain mag and white mtn carbine, we were seeing the bullet on the off hide in almost every case, and it was about the diameter of a quarter and rather thin. Tons of shock value, though. Most shots were out to 50 yards and almost all were bang flop.

I always thought a flat point pb of about 350-375 gr would be the best performer on game, while still flat shooting enough for 100 yards.

Although, my white with 460 gr NE bullets is better :D !

flint head said:
PICT0329.jpg

Maybe I'm gust a glutton for punishment, hard headed, or just plain dumb-but I'm on a mission. Before I get to far into this rant and just for informational purposes, I want y'all to know that I have a TC Pro-Hunter lying in wait that is shooting a 3/4" 100 yard group with a bonded 250 Shockwave over 120 grains of BH 209. Ok, now that that's off my chest we can continue... the thing that intrigues me is that most red necks/novice black powder hunters shoot the first thing that grabs their attention at Wal-Mart, which is most often Power Belts. We have all heard or experienced for our selves a failure of these bullets as I did when killing my first muzzleloader deer,,, of course like most people I pushed a small .45 195 grain bullet too fast with 100 grains of Pyrodex pellets and had too close of a shot at a thirty yard doe... luckily I found her but the bullet exploded.

Tomorrow morning I will be heading to the the woods armed with the red necks choice. Kill deer they will, we all know this, but how well will they perform? Most likely my shot will be under fifty yards and could be in single digits... so we will see. By the way, the gun and load did shoot pretty darn well,,, that is a 100 yard three shot group that measured 1 1/8". The load is 80 grains of Pyrodex RS, a 348 grain PB HP, and a 777 primer. Wish me luck... :shock:

Please dont post any more close up photos of your accura.....it looks awful nice and I dont need any more ML's. :D

And the score is deer 2 flint head 0... :cry: We had a pretty good storm come through around six last night so I guess the deer were smarter than me and stayed at home. :)

Back