.223 Remington 700

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good bullet to start out with for hunting and accuracy? Thanks

BTW- I should mention i dont reload rifle bullets and dont want to. :)

If you are reloading, I love the 50 gr V-Max in my .223 Rem guns. I also shoot it in my 40x .22 PPC and its boring accurate out to 300 yards. Another cheaper bullet that shoots very well is the 50 gr Speer TNT. I have fragged ground squirrels out to 400 yards with it in a .223 Rem. In my JP Enterprise flat top AR15, it shoots sub half MOA. In my NEF Handi Rifle, it shoots on average sub 3/4 MOA. I prefer BL-C2 powder in my .223 with Federal Gold Medal Match primers in match prepped (neck turned, flash hole deburred, primer pocket uniformed) Remington brass.

If you have a faster twist and are looking for a longer range (400+ yards) look at the 60 and 75 gr V-Max.

Other great shooting bullets that are a tad more expensive are Berger Varmint Bullets.

If you are looking for factory loaded ammo, the Black Hills line is decent. I have not found a line of varmint ammo that comes close to the accuracy of my handloads though.

My .223 700 is just a basic ADL in a plastic stock with a Leupold VXII 6.5-18 on it and it shoots amazingly well.

I only shoot handloads, but my rifle likes Hornady V-Maxes, especially the 55 grain flat base. You might look for that in a factory round.

Tom,

I have found good accuracy at a good price with the blue-boxed Black Hills re-manufactured stuff..

You can get them with 50-60gr v-max bullets and they shoot very well. Ultramax has been a good value for me as well..

Maybe the best value is the white box winchester in 45gr bullets.

I usually sort the brass after I shoot them and sort the brass to the head stamp... It is lake city brass and usually good stock to re-load.

Latest posts

Back