Sidekick Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
I was testing a new breech plug late yesterday in my 26" Sidekick. I also was testing some bullets and a couple different lots of powder. The temp was hovering right around 85 when I started, winds gusting R to L. I was able to seek refuge in the shade behind my barn, so that helped a bit. I also chronographed some loads, using different sabots and powder lot #'s. I was very surprised at how well it turned out for the most part, with the exception of the 200 gr Shockwaves. It was hot, and I was shooting all magnum 120 gr loads, so I didn't get much shooting done.

Here is the overall target, I will provide close up's of the individual bulls. Some people may be interested in the velocities? The older powder has a little less velocity than the newer run, but it really hasn't had much change at 100 yards.
002.jpg

The 200 gr Shockwave was all over, actually one of my worst groups since shooting BH209 at a little over 3". I was hoping that the rest of the range session would go better, and it did.
003-1.jpg

Next up was the 250 gr Knight/Barnes TMZ in the newer blue EZ-Load sabot. This bullet with the old yellow sabot is one of the most accurate bullets I have ever shot out of my Knight Disc MHC, but the blue sabot ruined that. My NEF Huntsman didn't really care for them as well either, but I think this H&R Sidekick just might prefer the blue if it continues to shoot them the way it did last night. The thing I don't like about these sabots is that the range rod can practically seat them by itself.
004-1.jpg

Next was the 290 gr Knight/Barnes TMZ in the newer blue EZ-Load sabot. These also load very easy, but it is hard to argue with the results. After shooting the 3 shot group, I had a couple of the old yellow sabots left and decided to shoot a bulet in the tighteer fitting sabot. The tighter sabot/bullet combination struck higher than the group, with a faster velocity as well.
005-1.jpg

After that I decided not to ruin my 250 group, so I shot the 250 gr bullet w/yellow sabot at the upper left bull. It also struck higher, slightly right, with a faster velocity than the blue sabot group in the lower right bull.
006.jpg

At this point I was running out of powder from the jug of lot #0107098, so instead of going back to the house, I had a jug of the original lot #4-3-08 to shoot. My barrel was pretty warm at this point, but I wanted to shoot the 200 gr shockwave to check the velocity. It shot into the big group, but lost 35 to 82 fps, fform the previous group, keep in mind this was only one shot and the lighter bulets seem more effected by any changes IMO.
003-1.jpg

The last group was the 265 gr FTX using the Harvester green CR sabot and the 15 month old Lot of powder. The barrel was quite warm, but the group turned out pretty well. The Harvester sabots seem to stand the heat better than the MMP in my experience, but even still I had one of the green CR with a little melt down. I did adjust my scope RIGHT 6 clicks on this last group as the wind was dying down a bit. I will probably regret that the next time out, and be hiting 1-1/2" to the right.
007-1.jpg

All things considered, with the heat & wind, it turned out better than I expected. I will have to do some more work on those 200 gr Shockwaves. Maybe get the Harvester Blue .50/.40 sabot and see if that helps. This H&R Sidekick was one of the ones after Remington took over, it has a lawyered up trigger on it compared to my two NEF's, they have the nicest triggers of any of my rifles. This trigger is crisp, but HEAVY! I think a trigger job is in order, and this rifle will be a much better shooter like my Huntsman is.

For the heat, distance, and all the other elements.. that is some good shooting there. What is most impressive is the velocity of some of them loads..

coop2564 said:
Busta have u tested that square oring yet in the MU?

Sorry coop, I have not tried it under load yet in the NEF's. I did try it in the Knight with mixed results. The added compression reduces the I.D. on the Knight and actually blew small pieces into the flash hole, blocking it with the primer only test. But, I was compressing the heck out of it, and in the NEF it only has about .010" to .015" compression.

I have shot just some primers with it, so I am 99.99% sure it will work without problems. I have also tried the quad o-ring in the 7/8" plug with excellent success. The square o-ring SHOULD be the perfect one for the 5/8" plug, but that is only my HUNCH at this point.

I actually had the 5/8"plug taped up and installed in the rifle, it was on deck, then this new plug showed up. I'll try to get it done next time I get the Sidekick out and let you know how it goes.

cayuga said:
For the heat, distance, and all the other elements.. that is some good shooting there. What is most impressive is the velocity of some of them loads..

cayuga,

You haven't seen nothing yet, check out the velocities on my .45 Knight Sabotless Part 2 thread. I am getting 2200+ with 120 gr BH209, a card wad, and a .452" 300 gr XTP/MAG. I still have a lot of research and developement to do, but that sabotless shooting is a lot of fun. I need to pick up a couple new bastard files for knurling some other bullets, but then I can really put it to the test. I had more bullets in the first test, but am now out of SST's and Shockwaves. The 300 gr SST's sure needs to be examined further. Maybe the 300 gr Bonded Shockwave would do better at hese speeds?

Latest posts

Back