? Off ended? and Confused?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Fanboy

Supporting Member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I took a range day to check sighting on a .50 buckhorn magnum with scope. Seen a young man working on his break open and the QRBP with a pair of vise grips! Had me kind of nutzo trying to figure out what the ________ he was doing. So I eased over and inquired about sighting for upcoming deer season? Young man was polite enough to speak and easy going enough, So I asked about the vise grips? He told me you have to tighten the plug to beat all holy get out or else it could fly back and hurt you or damage the rifle. I said kid do not know where you heard that information. let me kind of show you something. I pulled back plate off my buckhorn used my breech plug tool and politely twisted my plug out. He looked at me totally confused. He asked you do not need to get it ungodly tight, I said kid I have heard, read all the "Horror Stories" about Black Powder for close to 44 years, those stories or wives tales well are fictional that is the QRPB in your rifle, which means QUICK RELEASE BREECH PLUG. finger tight, the threads do the rest. Believe it or not your doing more damage by the vise grips than you realize, if ya need a sounding board for Black Powder, gave him my cell and told him call me with questions, or if you wanna meet back out here and shoot. Who and What exaggerations are people feeding the youth.

I took a range day to check sighting on a .50 buckhorn magnum with scope. Seen a young man working on his break open and the QRBP with a pair of vise grips! Had me kind of nutzo trying to figure out what the ________ he was doing. So I eased over and inquired about sighting for upcoming deer season? Young man was polite enough to speak and easy going enough, So I asked about the vise grips? He told me you have to tighten the plug to beat all holy get out or else it could fly back and hurt you or damage the rifle. I said kid do not know where you heard that information. let me kind of show you something. I pulled back plate off my buckhorn used my breech plug tool and politely twisted my plug out. He looked at me totally confused. He asked you do not need to get it ungodly tight, I said kid I have heard, read all the "Horror Stories" about Black Powder for close to 44 years, those stories or wives tales well are fictional that is the QRPB in your rifle, which means QUICK RELEASE BREECH PLUG. finger tight, the threads do the rest. Believe it or not your doing more damage by the vise grips than you realize, if ya need a sounding board for Black Powder, gave him my cell and told him call me with questions, or if you wanna meet back out here and shoot. Who and What exaggerations are people feeding the youth.
Many times, the problem with youth is that they know it all. Other times when they ask a question, the answer comes from someone that does not really know anything about the modern muzzleloaders. Glad you took him under your wing. also glad you didn't make him feel foolish.

Good for you. I run into people like that all of the time at our range/gun club with 1200 members. They buy a new muzzleloader and some computer geek at the gun counter begins to tell them a bunch of crap about what needs to be done or what to shoot and the sales person has never fired a muzzleloader or some of the have never shot a firearm. SAD!
Glad you could help him.
Mike

Good for you. I run into people like that all of the time at our range/gun club with 1200 members. They buy a new muzzleloader and some computer geek at the gun counter begins to tell them a bunch of crap about what needs to be done or what to shoot and the sales person has never fired a muzzleloader or some of the have never shot a firearm. SAD!
Glad you could help him.
Mike
Good post Mike.
I heard of one newbie that had a BP cartridge pistol, and loaded the cartridges with smokeless powder.
Blew his pistol apart at the cylinder area. Fortunately no harm to him other than some bruises.

Glad you could help him.
Mike
I have to agree, Rumor, Horror story, False Information, YUP drove me away from the Black Powder FUN. 99% of what I heard lies or fabrications. If one does proper homework, puts in sometime to TRULY RESEARCH. Everyone of those fears is unfounded. I will not doubt wrong information has caused injury. From my research dreaded "FLASK GRENADE" "FRONT CHAIN FIRE" "REAR CHAIN FIRE" all these unfortunate incidents can be avoided 1) Proper Education 2) Proper Maintenance 3) Proper Equipment, Supplies 4) The Clear Head in which to use 1-3. I say these unfortunate happenings are NOT ACCIDENTS bad decisions, poor choices and failure of education. Of course there is the FUG NUT syndrome, where information provided is wrong, because some FUG NUT thinks it is funny.

Good post Mike.
I heard of one newbie that had a BP cartridge pistol, and loaded the cartridges with smokeless powder.
Blew his pistol apart at the cylinder area. Fortunately no harm to him other than some bruises.
I have stood there and have heard someone tell the new guy "PACK THOSE CYLINDERS FULL OF POWDER, LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM JUST FOR THE BALL!!" Actually an admin of a range I no longer attend, I spoke up and stood alone when membership was "No Longer Current" I tend to seek outdoor private spots, If someone joins or is there already hey cool. If conversation is alright with you, I can be friendly, I will try if the response is friendly, hey great, if not I can keep my yap shut. Folks figure just because it was done to me and I survived, everyone laughs when story is told....It is fair for me, so I do to another. I am not that guy, It was not funny when 200 grains of powder was packed into a .50 cal percussion pistol and handed to a 10 year old kid, to watch this pistol kick back slapping the kid in the face, front sight gouging down the forehead. That is not a joke, never has been and never will be funny.

I have agreed to take a friend out and teach him how to deal with muzzleloaders. He has never shot one before so I'll take one and walk him through it all one day....followed by a visit to another range where matches are held once a month. I thought I'd get him introduced to a lot of the guys there as they are always helpful with a new guy. I have always found front stuffers to be a super friendly bunch and very willing to help new guys.

I have agreed to take a friend out and teach him how to deal with muzzleloaders. He has never shot one before so I'll take one and walk him through it all one day....followed by a visit to another range where matches are held once a month. I thought I'd get him introduced to a lot of the guys there as they are always helpful with a new guy. I have always found front stuffers to be a super friendly bunch and very willing to help new guys.
YES proper guidance sure have fun goof off all well and good.

I have stood there and have heard someone tell the new guy "PACK THOSE CYLINDERS FULL OF POWDER, LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM JUST FOR THE BALL!!" Actually an admin of a range I no longer attend, I spoke up and stood alone when membership was "No Longer Current" I tend to seek outdoor private spots, If someone joins or is there already hey cool. If conversation is alright with you, I can be friendly, I will try if the response is friendly, hey great, if not I can keep my yap shut. Folks figure just because it was done to me and I survived, everyone laughs when story is told....It is fair for me, so I do to another. I am not that guy, It was not funny when 200 grains of powder was packed into a .50 cal percussion pistol and handed to a 10 year old kid, to watch this pistol kick back slapping the kid in the face, front sight gouging down the forehead. That is not a joke, never has been and never will be funny.
That was definitely worse than the guy I heard about. There is just no accounting for stupidity.....especially when they involve a youngster!

I have to agree, Rumor, Horror story, False Information, YUP drove me away from the Black Powder FUN. 99% of what I heard lies or fabrications. If one does proper homework, puts in sometime to TRULY RESEARCH. Everyone of those fears is unfounded. I will not doubt wrong information has caused injury. From my research dreaded "FLASK GRENADE" "FRONT CHAIN FIRE" "REAR CHAIN FIRE" all these unfortunate incidents can be avoided 1) Proper Education 2) Proper Maintenance 3) Proper Equipment, Supplies 4) The Clear Head in which to use 1-3. I say these unfortunate happenings are NOT ACCIDENTS bad decisions, poor choices and failure of education. Of course there is the FUG NUT syndrome, where information provided is wrong, because some FUG NUT thinks it is funny.
Extremely well written and incredibly true. Thanks.

Once about had a stroke when I noticed a guy several tables over at the range load his CVA front stuffer from a H380 can, just had to nose in, he just happened to have an empty can of it to use for to pour some 2F in just to take to the range for a few shots, whew!, wish guys wouldn't do that!

Once about had a stroke when I noticed a guy several tables over at the range load his CVA front stuffer from a H380 can, just had to nose in, he just happened to have an empty can of it to use for to pour some 2F in just to take to the range for a few shots, whew!, wish guys wouldn't do that!

I do this when I have old metel cans of powder or 4-8 pound jugs.
However, I use the plastic 1 lb containers from hogdons. The labels peal right off. Then I put new labels.
But ya, just pouring powder into a different container is asking for trouble.

Have seen some crazy things at both public and private shooting ranges. One that comes to mind is the 3 guys dropping .22 LR rounds down a 300 Win Mag barrel so they could beat on them to drive a stuck round out of the barrel. Guy next to me saw it first and he packed up and left. As luck would have it I had a sectional cleaning rod (Steel from an M-1) and I stopped them, explained the dangers of what they were doing and we used the cleaning rod to gently tap the round out of the chamber while holding the barrel angled away from us. Their comment was that .22 is rim fire so the bullet in one would not set off the next one....

Have seen some crazy things at both public and private shooting ranges. One that comes to mind is the 3 guys dropping .22 LR rounds down a 300 Win Mag barrel so they could beat on them to drive a stuck round out of the barrel. Guy next to me saw it first and he packed up and left. As luck would have it I had a sectional cleaning rod (Steel from an M-1) and I stopped them, explained the dangers of what they were doing and we used the cleaning rod to gently tap the round out of the chamber while holding the barrel angled away from us. Their comment was that .22 is rim fire so the bullet in one would not set off the next one....
JUST WOW!!!!! I find as we progress technologically, breeding seems be regressing mentally.

Younger people no longer seek out sage advice from elders. A lot of (mis) direction comes from the internet and friends who have too many bongs on the shelf. 😎

Back