What to buy now?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
I sadly ruined my beloved Knight Disc Extreme last season. The barrel is badly pitted and accuracy has gone to heck. It was MY fault, not the rifles. I got caught in an all day drizzle without a muzzle 'rubber' and the BP (yes I mean real black powder) ate the barrel. I was not able to clean it after firing for several hours and that was all it took. So.... what to buy as a replacement? I have not had luck with T/C. My Omega was not accurate or consistant. With Knight's future uncertain (yes I know they have been bought but who knows when production will resume) what should I buy? I want the rock solid strength of the Disc design, the accuracy of the GM barrel, and the absolute lack of blowback that I had with the rifle.

i'd look at the new cva optima or even the new cva wolf. I'll be testing the Wolf out tomorrow and going to report back.

JimG

You could replace your Knight with another Knight... they still can be had fairly cheaply on the auction sites... It is really going to be hard to beat a Knight.

Since you mention a TC Omega as not being that accurate I would bet that you might have a black or even a Camo synthetic stock on the gun. Your accuracy problem might be related to that. There is a fairly easy fix. Plus you can change the breech plug to a 25acp plug and be blow back free.

The other suggestion I might throw out is the new TC Triumph... it comes pretty darn accurate right out of the box.

Also, I am fairly confident Knight will be back in production - sooner than later... but I am sure they will reduce the number of different models they will be making.

One last thought - there might be a chance that Gordy @ Knight could lap your barrel and get it decent shape, might give him a call or an email...

If you liked it, I too would replace it with another Extreme...swap barrels, extra parts, paint a stock...whatever, it's all good.

greatbasin said:
If you liked it, I too would replace it with another Extreme...swap barrels, extra parts, paint a stock...whatever, it's all good.

+1

Send it to Knight and have the barrel replace. If you like the gun its worth it. If you have the tools you can do it or have a gunsmith do it.

All very good advice. I'd get rebarreled any way because you have a rock solid gun there. Then I would look to buy a CVA APEX or a TC Triumph with secondary looks at Opitma II, Wolf, Impact. Do this just because one is good but more is better! Yes, there can be more than one gun :wink:

Whenever I shoot black or pyro and can't clean right away I spray lots of oil down the tube, so far that seems to work. Hard lesson to learn. :cry:

Lee 9

On the Knight there is not a barrel piece per-sey... It is a Green Mountain barreled action.. but even then a new barreld action might be available from Knight.

Yeah it was a hard lesson to learn alright!! I'll try to find another Knight Extreme then. A lot of deer have fallen to the Knight. I have surprised folks before at the range with it's accuracy. As for the Omega, it did have the black synthetic stock and I no longer own it.

JimG - You can contact Knight at 423.744.1200 and get a replacement barrel for yourself. We are taking those orders now. Knight is diffinately in the business of supporting our customers on these types of issues. If there is anything I can do to assist on this let me know.

Latest posts

Back