BH 209 vs 777 Power comparision

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axischem

Reaction score
How much more powerful is BH 209 compared to 777? Can we talk percentages?

axischem

It really depends on what weight projectile you are shooting.

Since BH is a Progressive buring powder it really does not start producing extra velocity per grain unit after the 250 grain projectile weight. Even then it is not a significant difference.

In most cases you will find that BH will not match grain for grain T7 with lighter bullets and with a 300 grain bullet you wil get about 100-200 for per second difference @ the muzzle.

The thing that makes BH more desirable is the fact it does not produce the 'crud ring' that some folks get and does not require a damp patch after each shot. It - they, Western Powders, also claimed the powder to be non-corrosive. I believe they are accurate the powder is not, but Western has changed their stance on that aomewhat, in that the powder residue left in the barrel may draw/collect moisture in the bore.

Here is a comparison that I completed a few months back using a 45 cal ML and a 200 grain bullet...

45VelocityTest.jpg

Here is another comparison...

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/SpecialReport2.html

Because 777 is a constant burning powder and when you get over 110 gr you start blowing some out the barrel and BH is a progressive burning powder which burns according to how much pressure is created you will find the real difference what they can do over 110 gr; up to that point BH and 777 FFF are quite similar in velocities although some of us find a major difference because of crudring and I find a big difference in accuracy potential.

Back