October Country “Pushing Daisies” Patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
These came in the Mail this morning, I REALLY like the looks, and Size of these, I am looking forward to testing them out  :Red tup: If they end up working well it will be HANDY for me to get them, i am only 45 Minutes or so from October Country.

ULDXRXfl.jpg

They say that these won’t “Bunch up” around the Ball, They look to be a better Fit to the Ball compared to the Round Patches? This is why i chose to Shoot 36 Cal Patches in my .45, and it worked STELLAR! These New OC “Pushing Daisies” Patches look Darn good to me :Red tup:
IcGnT0cl.jpg

PiUItXrl.jpg

I lube up my patches with Jon's Frontier's patch lube.  I melt down some Patch Lube, dip every other patch and stack them up.  I then put the stack in a zip lock sandwich bag and squeeze them in a vice to ring them out.  All the patches get evenly coated and ready to go.  The Daisies are nice to load. 

HTP750.jpg

Always have been interested in that design. Are they harder to center up in the bore?

I don't really think so.  At the range you're not in a hurry anyway.  If hunting.....and a bear was charging, I don't think you would mind if the patch was a little crooked.  :lol:

Smokin' Joe said:
I don't really think so.  At the range you're not in a hurry anyway.  If hunting.....and a bear was charging, I don't think you would mind if the patch was a little crooked.  :lol:

I have new respect for you.
You bother with a patch when Ephriam is charging?

That’s Only after I run a “wet patch - dry patch” down the barrel first, then the daisy patch. :lol!:

Smokin' Joe said:
That’s Only after I run a “wet patch - dry patch” down the barrel first, then the daisy patch. :lol!:
Joe does have a routine so don't mess with his process ...   :bow:   :slaps:   :cheers:  bear or not ....  :lol!:

Well fellas i played around with these Patches yesterday, I REALLY Like them. BUT, I feel like a guy would be Better off with a Smaller Patch, i could be Wrong? For example, look at how Good i shot using MUCH shorter .36 Caliber Patches in my .45 Cal Rifle, To me it just makes good sense, I don’t like the way the Caliber Specific Patches Bunch up on Top of the Ball Around the Short Starter. To me, that just seems like NOT a good deal?

The Cool part is, I just got my Lyman Great Plains .54 Cal Roundball Barrel Yesterday and i have it FULLY ready to Roll this Morning  :Red tup: And believe it or not, These October Country .40-.49 Patches fit PERFECT in .54 Cal, at least to me they do, I loaded the Rifle last night to Check, The Fit is AWESOME and NO Bunching up. 

Paper Targets is the ONLY way to Go for Accuracy Reports, But i had forgotten my Target Board yesterday, So that Left my Gong, it’s MUCH more fun and Satisfying to Ring The Gong anyway! :D
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rp63pVQ61ik" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I will soon find out if this Short Patch stuff is as good as I believe it is? Like i said, It just makes good sense to me. That is 1 thing I remember NOT liking WAY back when i shot a Few Roundballs, Was the Caliber Specific Patches Grabbing the Short Starter and Bunching up on top of the Ball. These .40-.49 Patches Seem like an IDEAL fit for .54 Cal, at least to me they do. 

I will get more of these October Country Patches in .36 Cal for my .45  :Red tup:

On a Side note, I have no Doubt that this Little .45 Patched Roundball with just 50 Grains of Swiss 2F Powder Would be DEADLY on Deer! Recoil is nearly non Existent, Making it LOTS of fun to Sit down and COMFORTABLY Shoot, You could EASILY shoot this Gun all day and not be Bothered by it. I REALLY like this .45 MR, AWESOME Little Rifle!!

The .54 Lyman GP is up this morning, 85-90 Grains of Swiss 2F, the .530 Balls Weigh 224-225 Grains. Gonna have my Dad with me this Morning, Dad is a MUCH MUCH better open Sight shooter than i am, His Eye sight is LAZER Good, Mine is NOT!

Here is a Good example of how good my Dad can See, I was glassing with my Binoculars and spotted a Tom Turkey Strutted up at the point of the Red Arrow in the Field WAY DOWN THERE, I could see it fine through my Binos. I looked over at my Dad and Told him, He said “Yea, i can see it” I thought to myself, YOU GOTTA BE JOKING ME??? He pointed and Explained EXACTLY where the Turkey was at! He could see the Spot, He Couldn’t Define EXACTLY what it was, But he could see it was there in the Field! Here is the Astonishing part, That Turkey was 1,500 Yards away NO FLIPPING JOKE!! Without my Binoculars, all i could yell you is there is a Field Down there  :D  My Dad on the other Hand Could see a Turkey. There is NO Comparison in his Eyesight and Mine, It’s been that way ALL my Life. I can remember as a young Kid, Dad would Spot Deer in the Bottom of Old Logging Cuts Hundreds of Yards away in Brush etc. that i NEVER did See, Even with him Trying to Guide me to them.
xm8TDCUl.jpg

I liked the daisy patches. I thought they loaded easier.

btw If you buy the lubed patches from October he lubes them with his bear tallow.

OldMtnMan said:

btw If you buy the lubed patches from October he lubes them with his bear tallow.
I like them as well, But i do believe there is something to going Smaller in Patch Diameter, More testing will prove it

Here is my .530 Ball with a .45 Cal (.40-.49 Cal) Daisy Patch, In my opinion this is IDEAL, I Don’t see any benefit from the Excess Patch Bunched up in front of the Ball? My new .54 Shot STELLAR with this .45 Cal Daisy Patch!! Just like my little .45 Cal did with .36 Cal Patches the other day
qEvS5E7l.jpg

Here is my .45 Cal with “Proper” Patch Size (.40-.49) I don’t like this, i feel the Patch is to Big here, Once i Short start the Ball the Excess Patch “GRABS” and holds on to the Short Starter, Accuracy was NOT as good either, It wasn’t horrible, But it wasn’t as tight as the other Day when i used the Shorter .36 Cal Patches That Don’t “Bunch up” and Grab the Short Starter. Again, more testing will prove it, But I REALLY Believe there is something to it. I need to pick up some of these Daisy Patches in .36 Cal for my .45 
KJ8TRDkl.jpg

I lube up my patches with Jon's Frontier's patch lube. I melt down some Patch Lube, dip every other patch and stack them up. I then put the stack in a zip lock sandwich bag and squeeze them in a vice to ring them out. All the patches get evenly coated and ready to go. The Daisies are nice to load.

HTP750.jpg

I just ordered some of these for my .54, in .40-.49 (as you guys said - makes sense to me to have less excess) I hope they work!

That is the lube I have, I will try your method of lubing 👍

I'm pretty green to the PRB shooting, had my maiden voyage with my Renegade last weekend and it went ok. Still have alot to learn and experiment with.

I just ordered some of these for my .54, in .40-.49 (as you guys said - makes sense to me to have less excess) I hope they work!

That is the lube I have, I will try your method of lubing 👍

I'm pretty green to the PRB shooting, had my maiden voyage with my Renegade last weekend and it went ok. Still have alot to learn and experiment with.
Daisy patches are great, my TC 50 calmed down more with them.

October is a great company and prices are reasonable,i like to just go to the site and look around.I purchased a possibles bag from them a couple years ago just the plain one they have and fixed it up my self..Had an old friend that was a bear hunter and made bear tallow and bees wax and froze them in cupcake tins and gave to friends for waterproofing whatever..October is always my first choice to look for something.I am not an avid shooter,but i have what i need..

I have a Knight MK85, and I use saboted bulets with it, but, at least on my initial loading, I use a wad as patch/wad as well.......seems to help improve the accuracy, helps seal the gases better....

JUST THE BEST THING SENCE SLICED BREAD!! I use them in both rifles and all of my smooth bores. they are killer with a .620 DIA. RB. in my reproduction, MIDDLESEX TRADING Co. BAKER GUN.

Well I got my patches, and they sent my order wrong.:rolleyes:
The .015 came in .40-49, and the .018 in .50-59
So at least I have both sizes to try, I guess I can email them about it. I'd just order more to get the right sizes, but the shipping...

Dang those .40-49 are tiny looking!

Well I got my patches, and they sent my order wrong.:rolleyes:
The .015 came in .40-49, and the .018 in .50-59
So at least I have both sizes to try, I guess I can email them about it. I'd just order more to get the right sizes, but the shipping...

Dang those .40-49 are tiny looking!

I intentionally use a Much Smaller Patch, i have had REALLY good luck doing so 👍 A little over halfway up the Ball is ALL that’s needed for me. A regular Size Patch will “Pinch/Grab” The Short Starter, is it a Big deal? Probably not? But it REALLY Bugged me! This is why i Started using Smaller Patches. My experience is fairly limited here (Patched Roundball) But i have had REALLY Good luck with what I’ve Chosen to do, So I’m going with it👍

Latest posts

Back