Shotgun shooting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that Bluedot has some really good comments and knowledge of shotgunning. I have had some training in this area however I think I really like his take on things. I was gonna respond to Patricks post, but I think I will invite Bluedot to give some advice to him. How about it Scott?

Patrick White said:
This is the area I would need the biggest improvement. I use shotguns like a rifle. :?

Muzzle is always moving-- always, that is the main difference.

RandyWakeman said:
Patrick White said:
This is the area I would need the biggest improvement. I use shotguns like a rifle. :?

Muzzle is always moving-- always, that is the main difference.

Ah, ok. Well I'm not a shotgunner. I shoot a shotgun maybe 2 or 3 times a year at game. Not an issue for me I guess.

Hey blue dot from one dog lover to another we have something else in common. I am a shotgunner, Have quite a few titles and shot at the grand american handicap numerous times. (Don't do it anymore though) I do not know sporting clays but in trap shooting everything should be so simple. Bring the gun up ,look out into the field, call for bird SHOOT. A great team will shoot a round of 25 each in under 8 minutes. Shouder,look, call, shoot. You are right about the mental being 90% but I believe its much higher. The difference between a good shot and a great one is about one bird in a hundred. Why can some folks shoot 98 out of a hundred but can't get those next one or two birds. Surely they know how to shoot. Dogs are a hell of a lot harder (but more fun).
Redclub

Redclub:

I used to shoot trap too, and skeet (but not seriously). I've shot everything from voice activated bunker (or international) trap to 16 yd hand set. I still remember a few trap ranges where it was easy to time the traps. :D Things really go smoothly when you get on a good squad!

I think the only games that I haven't shot was Pigeon shoots and ZZ bird. I was invited to a few pigeon shoots, but couldn't afford them. $5.00/bird was a bit steep, and that's not counting the side bets. I knew the guy that put them on, and he'd go thru 5,000 birds in 2 days. The same couple that supplied him with birds was our supplier for training pigeons, and we trained Springers together also. You probably know him, he trained Labs back in the late 70's & 80's - from California.

No, I don't know him.
$5 for a pigeon is qiute steep usuallyabout $2.50 here. I have only seen one live pigeon shoot. They throw the bird out of a house and you have to get it before it gets out of a circle. Now they have high tower shoots. Neither is very sporting. When I was a lot younger we would go to farms and shoot pigeons as they flew out of silo's That was tough to do. We also ate every one. They are not bad. How did we get onto pigeons?
I think we need hunting season.
Redclub

The $5.00/bird was for the live pigeon shoot, 25 birds just like trap/skeet. For training, we'd pay $1.25-$1.50 each, but we'd buy in batches of 250........

The live pigeon shoot was set up with 4 or 5 bird launchers, each behind a bush. You'd call pull, and it would throw the bird up in the air. You had to kill it within the circle, a bird wounded and walking out was a lost bird. They would pull a couple of flight feathers to make it fly erratically - they were hard to hit. (from what I could see) You were allowed 2 shots per bird.

Those were always the big money shoots in my neck.

As for 'sporting' well-- how many people eat a chicken that has died of old age? :roll:

It is / was primarily a gambling event, but a loooong way from cock-fighting or other such nonsense.

Pigeons shot out of a winger is quite challenging. We use them for winter trials as we get a little more distance from the bird. It takes one h--- of a good shot to hit it ,usually we have 2 or 3 people shooting and even then a good portion get away. That is a very good price for training birds.
Redclub

Latest posts

Back