Number 10 Caps and Number 11 Caps Interchangeable?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Enthusiast

Reaction score
Number 10 and Number 11 percussion caps. For ME my use have been and will remain interchangeable. The Number 10s fit the Number 11 Nipples, . As Far as an 11 Cap on a 10 nipple works Some fight over the "Length" of the 10 cap for the 11 nipple just pinch a little bit there is no difference.

Big huge argument erupted, 4-5 folks screaming yelling, I got two caps out one 11 and the other 10 set side by side The only difference between a #10 Cap and a #11 Cap is the length of the skirt on the cap. The #10 caps are longer. Laughter broke out all around. Odd if ya ask me I do not know if I was prodded, or were they pissed I was right.

#10 will usually split in half when trying to force it over a #11.

I just posted pictures to prove this on that facebook post that its incorrect. A #10 cap is shorter and smaller diameter to the point it can almost fit inside a #11 cap.

Im using CCI caps.

YES I have found HUGE variances between manufactures, some cases Unlike The Remington will rip/tear, FrontierGander Thanks for that I really thought I had lost my mind...I think I spend the extra $$$$ to keep my Remington Caps. ( I do note CCI 11 runs with in my preferences)

This was done prior to an education on the different variances of each manufacture, The group I was with and I have issued apologies BOTH were Right and Wrong, More so UNEDUCATED on the I.D the most important .01-.08 DIFFERENCES some times within the same manufacturer.

Last edited:

I just posted pictures to prove this on that facebook post that its incorrect. A #10 cap is shorter and smaller diameter to the point it can almost fit inside a #11 cap.

Im using CCI caps.

Correct guys, have by accident dealt with this problem. The other way around you can get by with using No. #11's on a #10 size nipple.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Remington #11 caps i have are taller than the CCI #11 caps: They are too tall to fit in my capper. My Remington caps are too large for the TC nipples on my rifles. They must be squeezed and bent to stay on the nipple.

Attachments

• 1608309885246.png
    1608309885246.png
    385 KB · Views: 3
Try a different nipple, that sometimes takes care of the height problem with fitting correctly on the gun. Cappers are a different story, may need to go to an open face capper.

buffani.gif

in-ge-nu-i-ty.jpg

YES I am learning of my Remington blinders, obviously why I like em so much for what I have the ID, (inner diameter) Fits perfect, I was unaware CCI, RWS and Colt are as different as lemons and onions.

Im using CCI caps.

where I live, if you find any caps, you probably want to buy them and don't be too particular. I just found some CCI's number 10's and I lucked out because that's what I had been using. my new tradition rifle would have used number 11's, but I bought stainless steel nipples so I could experiment with enlarging the hole for using 777 powder. The odd thing was, that a number 10 Fits perfectly, and when I put on a number 11, if you weren't careful, they would fall off before you could shoot. Why the difference in diameter of the nipples I have no idea, but being I own a percussion pistol I happen to have both sizes on hand. I've never had any ignition problem for failing to shoot, the primer always shot, but sometimes, other problems caused the powder to not go off. It probably is to my benefit, because if things go too far astray, I can put back the original nipple and use number 11 caps.
squint

YES Remington 10 and 11 have the same ID 0.166 thus is why I prefer them also I was unaware of different Specs of Manufactures and how they vary 0.01 to 0.08. My ignorance was corrected and cured. Squint I like your work around also change nipples to 10s drive on

where I live, if you find any caps, you probably want to buy them and don't be too particular. I just found some CCI's number 10's and I lucked out because that's what I had been using. my new tradition rifle would have used number 11's, but I bought stainless steel nipples so I could experiment with enlarging the hole for using 777 powder. The odd thing was, that a number 10 Fits perfectly, and when I put on a number 11, if you weren't careful, they would fall off before you could shoot. Why the difference in diameter of the nipples I have no idea, but being I own a percussion pistol I happen to have both sizes on hand. I've never had any ignition problem for failing to shoot, the primer always shot, but sometimes, other problems caused the powder to not go off. It probably is to my benefit, because if things go too far astray, I can put back the original nipple and use number 11 caps.
squint
Not to be a wise guy but if U look back at post #3 the chart definately shows a diameter and height difference in CCI 10 & 11 primers! Possibly why your 11's fall off????

CCI 10 & 11 are different I.D. but if I needed to, I might try chucking the nipple in my drill and turning it down with a file.

Great chart, thanks Jonathon! It is saved to my hard drive for future reference.

~WH~

Not to be a wise guy but if U look back at post #3 the chart definately shows a diameter and height difference in CCI 10 & 11 primers! Possibly why your 11's fall off????
I know there's a difference in the size and height, but I've been under the impression for a long time that rifles took number 11 caps and muzzle loading pistols used number 10. When I ordered nipples to fit a rifle, I assume they would probably be number 11 size. It only took about one try to discover they didn't fit, and I was lucky to own number tens and have them with me. I had some magnum tens. that they would stick in the hammer.
Squint

Right you are Squint. #11 or musket cap always for a rifle. #10 was BP revolver.

Latest posts

Back