My new Pup !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Last friday my new pup was born, got to go see them on Sunday. The litter is mostly chocolates and 2 blacks. They lost two other black pups allready. Of the two blacks one is female for sure and the other was nursing so we left it alone. I asked for a black male but I may have to settle for a chocolate. Oh well the price is free from my buddy so I am not complaining that is for sure. This hot weather is making it tough on them, I offered to take them all and the momma to my house to stay but my buddy preferred to keep them in the outside kennel. They all looked ok, my buddy said the two that were lost was because momma rolled over on them. Hmm I don't know about that, figured momma would be more careful then that but I guess it is possible. Anyway I was wondering if you guys could tell me when they would open their eyes?
I am really looking forward to getting my pup but of course that will be awhile yet. It was neat to see them though, just adorable little fellas.

Generally speaking it's about 2-3 weeks Dwight. Congratulations on your new family member!!! I brought my pup to the vet today for neutering. I felt bad for him :oops: but he'll be healthier.
I don't know how clearly they can see at 3 weeks? I had my pup at 7 weeks (state laws vary on puppy delivery age). He seemed to rely more on his nose than his eyes for navigating around the house.
Lot's of luck with your new buddy. Did you pick out a name???

Jimmy

Pups eyes start to open at 13 days.but they cannot see real well.
We always have our pups born in the home under controlled temperature conditions. They just cannot regulate the body temp very well at that age.
Mothers can roll on their pups so that is why we use a whelping box. Did they remove the dew claws, should be done the first two days. Another thing pups should not be exposed to outside people or pets for at least a week. Mother dogs can get quite nervous and only bad things can happen.
Rifleman I feel That you will love your pup. Brown dogs are nice.
In fact I have a chocolate litter for sale.
Redclub

Redclub, what's your opinion on having a dog neutered? My pup is six months old and his testicles still hadn't descended so that kinda solidified my decision to neuter. I didn't plan on breeding him so it just made sense.

I personally believe the finest dog is a nuetered male They still will be good looking and the roaming/marking will be reduced as well as some of the domineering traits. There is only a handful of males that do any breeding to amount to anything. Even field champions are lucky to get a couple of breedings in their lifetime. The proven ones are another story. We have paid as high as $2500 for stud service but again those are very few. I do not even own a male as We have seven females that live in the house with us. If I had one dog though it would be a nuetered male.
Redclub

Dwight:

Did your buddy de-worm the ***** prior to the litter? Dewclaws, de-worming and shots on the proper schedule is pretty important. Congrats on the new arrival!

Can't say, I am pretty much out of the loop until I pick up mu pup. Then I will have to play catch up I am sure.

Nope about a week or two I got talk to my pal and see how their doing I have not seen him in a couple weeks with our shift work running opposite right now.

Back