45 Pellets in a 50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Can this be done? Canyou use 45 pellets in s 50 caliber rifle?
Sure it will leave some air space, but there is air space when you use 50 caliber pellets in a 50.

I can buy them cheap right now. Your thoughts.....

I grabbed the wrong box of pellets for my Omega one time and loaded 45's in the 50 cal. rifle. The report of the rifle was somewhat subdued and the bullet hit about half way to the target, my experience, NO

I'd say stick with the 50 cal pellets better yet go with loose powder and weigh your charges. 8)

dwhunter said:
I'd say stick with the 50 cal pellets better yet go with loose powder and weigh your charges. 8)

DW,
I use weighed measures of loose, always.

I just thought I could get some real cheap shootin'. Ya know I'm a real tight ass and love to beat the system now and then. 8)

When the .50 pyrodex pellets first came out I used them in my .54 FireHawk for several years. No problems and killed several deer and targets with them. In my experience as long as the center holes are open between pellets they worked for me.

Spitpatch said:
dwhunter said:

DW,
I use weighed measures of loose, always.

I just thought I could get some real cheap shootin'. Ya know I'm a real tight ass and love to beat the system now and then. 8)

I hear ya! I don't blame ya a bit. I've been known to be the very same way. :mrgreen:

Spit,

Yes you most definetly can use them. Before I bought a 45, I accidently purchased a ton of 45 pellets at an auction for cheap.

I personally called pyrodex and asked if thier was any harm in using the 45's in the 50. They said no. They told me the only thing that might happen was a delay fire.

I never got around to actually shooting them out of my 50, but I wouldn't be afraid to.

Latest posts

Back