.45 caliber Hawkins Stainless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
Well my Green Mountain Barrel came today. It's a .45 caliber stainless steel barrel with a 1-30 twist. I cleaned it up real good, but it is too windy to shoot.

Also I want to pick some projectiles for this rifle but have no idea what to ORDER from some lucky on line store. So I am asking all you .45 caliber shooters to tell me what sabot, make, model, and what kind of bullets you are shooting out of yours that is working. Also mention your powder and loads. Once this wind stops I will hit the range.

traditionalrifles007.jpg

dave, my .45 GM barrel shoots REAL well with 70 g. of 2f swiss and pretty much any of the bullshop .451 diameter bullets (i'm a little partial to the volunteer design). also shoots very well with 200 g. hornady XTP and the blue harvester crush rib sabot. the brown mmp sabots were too thick for my particular barrel, causing an extremely difficult-to-seat projectile. you might have better luck. those xtp's liked to be pushed pretty fast, i was getting best results w/ 90-100 g. T7 2f powder. havent tried the xtp's w/ swiss blackpowder or goex.

Well that's good to know. I have some .451 bull shop conicals in 460 grain. Maybe it the wind will behave tomorrow, I can get out there. I want to try them with 70 grains of Triple Seven 3f.

Hey dawg, what kind of groups do you get with the XTPs?

I've shot them in my GM 1:30 with regular and crush rib Harvester sabots and 85, 90 and 95 grains of Pyrodex P and couldn't get any better than four and a half inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards.

I also shot one 5-shot round with Pyrodex RS (95 grains) and got a three and one quarter inch group, and one round with T7 FFG (also 95 grains) and got a four and a half inche group.

I'd sure like to get it to less than two inches at 100 yards.

Latest posts

Back