Sunday in the Rock Pit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
It was a beautiful day today and I could not resist the draw to go shooting....

Headed out about 8:30am with the first stop being at the Troy/Deary Trap club... I just shot 2 rounds this morning, breaking 48 of 50 - which is really good for me because everybody tells me that I shoot a shot gun like a rifle instead of a shot gun - guess that is a problem...

Loaded up and head to Little Boulder Rock Pit to get some testing in. I do not like to shoot in the rock pit as much anymore because SOME people (I guess i have to call them people) leave it is such a mess after they shoot. They drag all kinds of trash in to shoot them leave it... But, back to the point I really wanted to test my latest modification of a new Lehigh BP.

My goal, and I do not know if it is going to work, is to create a modification that I can shoot in all of my DISC's with any primer and consider it better than 90% clean. Todays effort i would grade 98% clean. The only negative experiance came when shooting the Fed 209A's - the primers backed out of the battery cup in to the bolf face... This increased the length of the primer from the rim to the top of the primer and with out any play in the Primer Adapter they could not roll out as all the rest did.

No target pictures but I do have a collection of pictures I would like to share.

Composite1.jpg

Composite2.jpg

But! the best part of the day for me was when another vehicle came up the road to the rock pit and slowed to look. I stood up to recognize the folks in the van and the driver rolled the window down. I asked him if he was looking to get some shooting in and if he was we could certainly share the area.

He pulled in a parked then he and his young daughter exited the van. She attends a local elementary school here in Moscow and after listening to her father they were here to give his daughter here first lesson in shooting.... ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!! Shucks I would have been happy just to let them do all the shooting they wanted. He started off offering her all the things about safety and how to work the rifle and pistol they were going to shoot. All the time they were shooting he was reassuring her how to... plus making sure she was understanding the safety aspects. i was surprised when she chose to shoot the rifle first - it was not a 22 but a larger bore centerfire.... remember this was her first shot taken.... the first shot went well, really well and I think she might have been hooked.

The point is how great of experiance is this father/daughter bonding using an activity that some consider second rate. This young lady was gaining a valuable experiance that a lot do not and the best part it was with her father.... teaching her the right thing.... I could have sat there all day and just watched!

Father-DaughterComposit.jpg

Way to go dad!!!! all dads!!!

Great report Mike
How do you like the Cheddite primers?
I can't find them
Great pictures of the Father and Daughter shooting
I love to take mine,they usually out shoot me.

thanks for the report the Lehigh plugs looks real good with your modifications. Do you expect Dave to be able get them as clean as you are?

sabotloader:
Thanks for the report !

You a good day all around; and it looks like the Lehigh was worth the wait ! :yeah:

Lehigh plug

Sabot loader
That lehigh plug appeared to work very well . Could you notice any increase in ignition speed. I know you were shooting T7 which ignites well but I just thought it might be more instanious as clean as things were. Had to be more fire down the tube.
Wayles

Sax

I really do like the Cheddites, I have shot tousands of them trap shooting as I reload my own shells - and they have certainly been reliable... they are a little shorter and a little fatter than American primers but work well for me...

If you have a trap supplier or club around they probably have some Cheddites....

Sabotloader,
On a side note do you think Dave would ever be interested in making a FPJ version of his plug? I still think it is easier to handle the FPJ rather than the NFPJ primer especially with a scope on you gun. Plus the jacket would be one more thing to help catch some blow back. I hope he would at least consider it.
Doug

dalberg

the Lehigh plugs looks real good with your modifications. Do you expect Dave to be able get them as clean as you are?

There is no doubt in my mind he can for individual rifles, it is really a matter if he can make one universal enough to fit all.

I will find out a bunch when I move this modified plug from the Extreme 50 to the #09 45 cal which I believe is a looser gun... Hope to get that done tomorrow - the 'move' probably will not get to shoot it for awhile.

I think he would and does have some interest and tackling a FPJ system also. Just not sure when he might be able to get it into a schedule. and then again I do not really know that he will make a run at it.

I on the other hand have bought some materials and am going to try it very shorty using a Knight BP...

Re: Lehigh plug

wayles

That lehigh plug appeared to work very well . Could you notice any increase in ignition speed. I know you were shooting T7 which ignites well but I just thought it might be more instanious as clean as things were. Had to be more fire down the tube.
Wayles

I really could not tell everything including the BH that I shoot has been immediate and instant... even shooting BH with a very well Remington 209-4 primer (built for the 410 shotgun)

The vent liner is the key figure in that scenario...

I would be very interested in a FPJ version, seems we are getting away from Knights purpose of the system anyway (the weather) with a NFPJ plug. I will stay tuned for anything new.
Doug

dalberg

I myself really do prefer the FPJ, but I also like the idea if the secondary safety also..... that a lot of peole think is nuts...

Latest posts

Back