Do you shoot the sow or the piglets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
My dad and I turkey hunt every spring down in Georgia where my dad lives. We often see hogs while turkey hunting. Usually a sow with smaller pigs. This year I plan on carrying my .50 muzzleloader (legal in GA to take turkeys) and Dad will carry his shotgun loaded for turkeys. My question is do you shoot the smaller better tasteing piglets and hope the sow runs away and doesent charge or do you go ahead and take out the sow? I guess with a muzzleloader and no dogs you take the shot and look for a tree to climb if need be.

the 50 cal. will be more than enough to drop a big hog,shoot the sow and as many of the little 1s You can (nothing smaller than 30 lbs)

quigley said:
I guess with a muzzleloader and no dogs you take the shot and look for a tree to climb if need be.

And this is why I care a handgun whenever I am in the woods. (Legal in TX) If you are looking for population control shoot the sow. If you are looking for meat, the piglets will probably be more tender (depending on how big the sow is).

Eagle

I would take the Sow, will in most cases get ya more meat, most Sow's I have seen down that way are about 100-130lbs in weight, then pop 2 or 3 pigges for the grill / smoker, littles ones make great pulled pork and or Hawaian styled pork

Latest posts

Back