Nipple choices question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbythehunter

Reaction score
Good morning folks. So I have 4 different nipples which seem to fit my two renegades. Plan is to shoot black powder but to also experiment with some substitutes. What would you recommend for a versatile nipple for both or do I need two different styles. Also how often should a nipple be replaced? Are these still usable? ThanksIMG_20200118_134352219.jpgIMG_20200118_134457873.jpg

I use and like the "Uncle Mikes spit fire" nipples on my Renagades. They provide dependable ignition of Black and substitute powders. If i were to shoot only substitutes (Which I don't) I would go with a Knight "Red Hot nipple" as these provide good ignition in all the current substitutes that are/can be used in side lok guns. As for length of service, I have found that if I see a dramatic drop in accuracy I will look to see if the nipple flash hole has eroded. If so it is time to replace it. Alot depends on the loads and powder you shoot.

I only replace a nipple when either the hammer starts getting blown back to half cock or if my groups start opening up.

Knight redhot, one nipple thats accurate and consistent with all powders.

The only trouble I ever had with a rifle nipple was on an old CVA .50 I acquired (and liked). Someone had decided dry firing was a good substitute for the real thing. Easy fix with sandpaper and a short bit of time. Since I don't shoot conicals and shoot prb exclusively the problem of nipple erosion has never reared its head.

Thank you all. I think I may buy 2 new nipples just to start new. I'll keep these in reserve. I noticed the one that came with the SB was noticably shorter?

It looks like some of those are a different height.
Which is the same height as the original nipple?
Too long or too short and the hammer may not hit squarely, causing misfires.

HO\ow often does a nipple need replaced?
I don't know.
I've never had one that needed to be replaced.

I don't know.

Neither have I.

Only time I have replaced a nipple was when previous owner dry fired on them.
Or wrong one was installed by previous owner

I have replaced two. When I first got my renegade it started blowing the hammer back to half-cock after 2 or 3 range sessions, no idea how long the nipple that came with it had been in there. After a few years of shooting the 2nd nipple I went out shooting one day, a proven load that I knew what kind of groups to expect, and it was shooting it about 4" at 50 yards. Swapped the nipple out and it went back to 2" groups. I did use to shoot conical loads here and there with 100 2f behind them, so I'm sure that was the major contributor. I expect the Treso nipple currently in the gun to last a really long time since 98% of my shooting is PRB now.

The hotter powders like Swiss and Old Enysford may cause the base and flash hole of a nipple erode faster, but it may take awhile. As I posted earlier, and Renegadhunter said, if you notice that your accuracy has drastically fallen off from your worked up load, a change of the nipple may (and usually does) get you back to where you were.

If you look at a nipple that been shot a lot, you'll see little star shape like flash cutting at the entrance to the flash hole. IMO that's most likely the time to replace it.

I have a feeling that the old crusty nipple is the culprit with my Crockett. I just can’t get it to group. I have a new Knight red hot on the way for it.

When the cones gas cut your groups will blow out. I have found that out over the years on the range with my Parker Hale Navy rifle, and also most particularly with my Parker Hale .451 Volunteer long range rifle. As said the length of the cone should be such that the hammer face hits flush. I suspect the two centre cones pictured might be right as far as length goes.

I don't know.
I'm sorry but I have no idea which length is right for the gun. The very short one (the bottom one) is the one which I took out of the ,56 SB i recently acquired. i think I'll have to start new and see how she shoots. Got some balls and patches coming from track of the wolf and will try to get some black powder next week in maine. retire on the 21st of February and then we'll get these guns to the range and sighted in. thak you all for your excellent advice. i appreciate it.

Any new BP rifle or Revolver that I buy used one of the first things I do is replace the nipple. Got a original .40 cal still wearing its nipple from 100 years ago, so considering that just shooting BP should hold up for a while. Not having shot out any that I still shoot, but have went to SS when I need to replace them. Started doing that after having that same problem as OP described, peppered me with blow back. Needless to say surprised the crap out of me. Peashooterjoe

I was experimenting with Triple Seven in a sidelock rifle. I could not get decent ignition with the factory nipple. I switched to Spitfire nipples from Mountain State Muzzle Loading Supplies. The underside of the nipple has a flare spreading the sparks a bit more than stock nipples. Needless to say, they solved my problem.

Attachments

• 19-14126__37065.1402337144.220.220.jpg
    19-14126__37065.1402337144.220.220.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back