How do I get a scope to a lower point of impact?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smong2000

Reaction score
I just got a Prohunter .243 rifle barrel, Warne bases and rings with an inexpensive 6-24 BSA SF scope on it. I can get it dead nuts with my 58 gr loads but I've run out of travel and my 95 gr loads are still 6" high at 100 yds. Is there a correct way to shim to drop my POI and a formula
or something to give me an idea how much I'd need. Looks like a high mount, maybe 1.5 in to center line.
Thanks

Burris rings can help you with the adjustable cants. Other than that a 20+ moa base may help.

You could place a shim cut from thin metal such as a pop can under the front base to give you the correction you need. I would expect that one thickness of pop can material would get you where you want to go.

First, though, are you sure that your scope is adjusting properly? I have had a couple on which the adjustments froze or broke.

Thanks Guys

THANKS Gentlemen..
Got someplace to start. I will remove the scope and try shimming the front mount as Plan A. If that isn't enough, Plan B is the Burris mounts. Scope is tracking fine but honestly is a piece of crap that should be replaced someday when $$ is available. Going with the lowest cost solutions first and a 5 cent soda can I can afford. :D

Back