So happy together...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
My white mountain carbine finally arrived. I had a little time to spare so off to the range I went. After a few projectile-less charges to get use to the hammer falling in my peripheral vision, I took a handful of shots with 285 grain maxi-hunters and 70grains of GOEX. One things for sure, I think I'll keep the projectile weight to about 300grains in this little gun. I had some 370 grain maxiballs, but was too chicken to try 'em :roll: Here it is, with my Encore:
andr3a-1.jpg

GREAT looking pair of rifles there Doegirl! You need to change your name to T/C-Girl! :lol:

Those rifles do not kick all that bad IMO. You could try some ball-ets in the 245 & 270 grain range, or 320 grain REAL conicals. 70 grains and a maxiball should not kick too bad. Also 245 grain Powerbelts can also be shot out of some of the faster twist rifles with good results.

It does not recoil that bad at all. It's just a matter of getting more accustomed to the gun, I suspect. It was just like shooting a black powder gun for the first time all over again. I think I'm going to really like this little carbine. :p

They are fun little thundersticks to shoot. I have one in .54, it doesnt seem to kick that bad at all. Did yours come with the leather sling with all the fringe? Gives it that mountain man look.

quigleysharps4570 said:
Been shooting it lately?

Yup, just this afternoon, actually. Feels like a typical Ohio gun season day: Windy, overcast, and cold. Good time to practice. :wink:

Doesn't kick that bad at all? I shot my friends one time with a 410gr Hornady conical and 80gr charge of T7 2F from the bench, all I can say is "ouch!" :lol: .

Whitesmoke

to me, 80g of 2f goex kicks a LOT less than 80 g t7 w/ the same weight projectile

I think T7 has a 'sharper' recoil impulse, years ago I use to shoot a 50cal Renegade with 90gr of Goex 2F and a 385gr Buffalo Bullet and found it very tolerable from the bench but it was a heavier gun so I'm sure that helped as well.

Whitesmoke

whitesmoke said:
Doesn't kick that bad at all? I shot my friends one time with a 410gr Hornady conical and 80gr charge of T7 2F from the bench, all I can say is "ouch!" :lol: .

Whitesmoke

Yeah, but I'm using 275 grain maxihunters. I'm too scared of them big hunks o'lead. :) One thing I did learn yesterday is that the wind can really push around a slow moving conical. There was a 20-25mph crosswind and I was getting about 3" of drift @ about 60 yds. I think 75 yds is a good max range with this gun. I was losing the target too often at a 100.

75 yards is a good range to pick a set distance marker. It would shock most people to see the kind of groups people shoot at 100 yards with open sights.

I shoot a lot, I have friends who think they shoot a lot. I have seen them at the range and some of their groups at 100 yards are NOT what I consider good enough for hunting.

I've heard a lot of people talk about 1-1/2 & 2 inch groups with open sights at 100 yards, but have seen very few of them. They always seem to get those darn fliers. At 100 yards I shoot around a 4" and that's an average. On a lucky day, I can hit a 3" even better.

I've never shot a deer further then 80 yards with open sights. Although technically you could add a few more yards to that. The bullet passed through that deer knocking it flat, and killed a second deer hiding behind it.

Good luck with your rifle. Have you tried some R.E.A.L. conicals yet?

Good lookin' guns!

I have finally given in to scoping everyhing I own. At 51, I can shoot great target groups with open sights, but under field conditions, where the deer don't run around with little orange dots on them, I just can't see good enough. The scopes also allow me to see branches, twigs, etc. I have a similar gun, and think it will be great for tree stand hunting. Very handy - Enjoy!!!

doegirl said:
Dave: Where would I find REAL conicals? Never seen 'em.

Bill Davis http://www.blackjackhill.com/ makes and sells them. The 320 grain should shoot good, and they also make a 280 grain.

I also cast them in my own shop. I make both sizes, and need to make some up soon. Maybe after deer season..

cayuga said:
doegirl said:
Dave: Where would I find REAL conicals? Never seen 'em.

Bill Davis http://www.blackjackhill.com/ makes and sells them. The 320 grain should shoot good, and they also make a 280 grain.

I also cast them in my own shop. I make both sizes, and need to make some up soon. Maybe after deer season..

I checked his site and it is not coming up.. perhaps there is a problem with it. I will check with him personally as he also makes my maxiball.

Lewistt - I could not agree more. If scopes were legal, all my hunting rifles would wear them.

Nope.. all is well there again at Black Jack Hills. I wanted to check his line of bullets. He has a lot of different projectiles. Just make sure you ask him for a estimate time of delivery. He got so big he had to quit his day job and go full time into bullet casting and was getting behind a while back...

Back