Blackhorn 209 powder vials...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Western Powders has announced that AT ANY TIME their new powder vials, made exclusively for use with Blackhorn 209, will be available. I got a sampling of these vials and I can tell you they are of very good quality!

IMG_0150.JPG

As you can see these vials are unique in that there is NO doubt for which powder they were designed. ALSO they are unique in that they are also marked on the side from 20 to 120gr BY VOLUME. The top is a simple pull/twist off type sealed by two gaskets.

IMG_0154.JPG

Using my T/C U-View powder measure, I checked to see if the Blackhorn 209 vial measurement corresponded with those of the U-View measure. I found that when I measured 120gr with the U-View meaure in my usual fashion, I throw about 110gr per the Blackhorn 209 vial. If I REALLY pack the powder in the U-View measure, it is practically exactly 120gr per the Blackhorn 209 vial! :D

Personally...I think this is an EXCELLENT product and an GREAT idea! Now..at a GLANCE one may tell WHAT powder is in the vial as well as the POWDER CHARGE in the vial! That certainly makes great sense to me!

I like the look of those big6x6.But they would have been better,i think if they were FLAT Bottom instead of the ROUND Bottom would have been better.But i still like the looks of them
big6x6 said:
Western Powders has announced that AT ANY TIME their new powder vials, made exclusively for use with Blackhorn 209, will be available. I got a sampling of these vials and I can tell you they are of very good quality!

IMG_0150.JPG

As you can see these vials are unique in that there is NO doubt for which powder they were designed. ALSO they are unique in that they are also marked on the side from 20 to 120gr BY VOLUME. The top is a simple pull/twist off type sealed by two gaskets.

IMG_0154.JPG

Using my T/C U-View powder measure, I checked to see if the Blackhorn 209 vial measurement corresponded with those of the U-View measure. I found that when I measured 120gr with the U-View meaure in my usual fashion, I throw about 110gr per the Blackhorn 209 vial. If I REALLY pack the powder in the U-View measure, it is practically exactly 120gr per the Blackhorn 209 vial! :D

Personally...I think this is an EXCELLENT product and an GREAT idea! Now..at a GLANCE one may tell WHAT powder is in the vial as well as the POWDER CHARGE in the vial! That certainly makes great sense to me!

Oh cool another version of a speed loader. What about just using the ones Lane sells and mark them with markers or tape?

coh-1 said:
What about just using the ones Lane sells and mark them with markers or tape?

It's nice to support people on the board. The new vials by BH209 are pretty and nice. I dont suggest anybody use them with out weighing the powder by volume or weight first.

Big6x6, i put 110grns of BH209 in three of lanes vials and left them sub merged over night in water. The next day dried them off and poured them down a Triumph and fired all three with out hesitation. A little over kill, but makes me very comfortable using them. When you get time a similar test would be nice for the one's you got.

Grouse said:
coh-1 said:
It's nice to support people on the board. The new vials by BH209 are pretty and nice. I dont suggest anybody use them with out weighing the powder by volume or weight first.

Big6x6, i put 110grns of BH209 in three of lanes vials and left them sub merged over night in water. The next day dried them off and poured them down a Triumph and fired all three with out hesitation. A little over kill, but makes me very comfortable using them. When you get time a similar test would be nice for the one's you got.

How would using a different container affect that test?

i guess they're ok for those who don't weigh charges. i don't think one would get anywhere near the consistency of weighing charges. i weigh mine and put them into lane's tubes.

barkbuster said:
6x6,
Any idea what these vials might cost?

As far as I know, final price has not yet been determined.

...sounds good. I'll do that.

Maybe they could throw a few of those vials in each container of BH209. Dern sure enough room in there.

coh-1 said:
Oh cool another version of a speed loader. What about just using the ones Lane sells and mark them with markers or tape?

The other day whilst out shooting at paper, i couldn't find my powder measure. Happened to have a couple of lane's tubes with 105g of BH209 in them. Noted the location of the powder relative to the marks on the tubes, and used one of his tubes for a measure, by utilizing the marks on the tube. Accuracy was as if i had used a real measure.

After the session, i found my measure down in between the seats in the pick-up.

hjbuys said:
Maybe they could be a few of those vials in each container of BH209. Dern sure enough room in there.

X2 :x

Oh...that's why they make the jug so big...they're gonna give us free vials...now I get it!!! :!: :? :shock:

How about sending a fella 6 of them with a sales receipt for a jug of BH209? That doesn't seem unreasonable.

SwampFox said:
I like the look of those big6x6.But they would have been better,i think if they were FLAT Bottom instead of the ROUND Bottom would have been better.But i still like the looks of them
big6x6 said:

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

If they make the bottom flat then they cant sell you the special BH209 tube holder that will be coming out next or the special measurer that puts exactly the amount that goes with the tubes.

Underclocked, I'm with you on that one! 6x6, any info on them selling the powder in a full pound yet?

Flhtr said:
Underclocked, I'm with you on that one! 6x6, any info on them selling the powder in a full pound yet?

I have not heard of any change in the Blackhorn 209 package size. I can't see that happening either...I'm sure it will stay at 10 ounces for now..

That would be nice to open that bottle and have a few of those speedloaders in there. I wonder how accurate it would be to pour straight from the big bottle into the premeasurements that are on the speedloader?

When you get to the end of a bottle, is there finer grains like what you'd find with pyrodex or triple 7?

I've emptied only two containers but each time I put the last few grains into the next container. They looked just like the rest.

Those special tubes will probably cost them about 10-20 cents each with about half that cost due to the lettering. So... what would be a fair markup? Maybe $20 for 6 tubes? :wink:

Back