So what is Goex Express??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I was re-stocking my supply of blackpowder last week when I noticed Grafs had something new. Product listed was Goex Express black powder! I instantly thought to myself that this was going to be Goex's answer to Swiss blackpowder. Here is the ad copy for Goex Express:

GOEX Express Black Powder is a high-performance, premium black powder made of a careful mix of the finest quality materials manufactured to rigorous and precise specifications for cleaner burning and softer fouling performance. Designed for competitive shooters, GOEX Express provides very high velocities for extreme accuracy at long distances with a low standard of deviation. GOEX Express Black Powder is available in Fg, FFg and FFFg and granulated to provide optimum performance in metallic cartridges and shotgun shells.

So I ordered up some Wano ffg, some Swiss ffg, AND some Goex Express ffg and fffg! It came in TODAY and I couldn't WAIT to try it so I got my stuff together and away to the range!

I figured I'd use the 'ol reliable Lyman Trade Rifle .54cal for a little test. I MAINLY wanted to see how Goex Express compared to Swiss in terms of velocity. So armed with the .54cal Trade Rifle and Swiss ffg, Wano ffg, and the Goex Express I started shooting..

IMG_0182.JPG

I used Hornady .530 roundballs, Ballistol/H2O soaked T/C .015 patches. and CCI #11 caps thruout the test. Target was set up at 60yds as that's about as far as I can shoot accurately with open sights@ There were no ignition problems with any of the powders..

First up was of course Swiss ffg. My favorite load for this rifle is 85gr ffg Swiss so that's what I started out with. The only thing I did from a spotless/oiled gun was to fire off a cap and I loaded up. I shot 5 times, swabbing after the 3rd shot. The first shot was LOW and the other 4 were awesome.

IMG_0189.JPG

There is no doubt that I could have put 10 shots thru that group. Muzzle velocity for this load TODAY was 1676fps...that's down a little from the last range outing with this combo but still a smoking velocity nevertheless...

So NEXT up I shot 85grs of both Wano ffg and Goex Express ffg, 5 shots each. I took pictures if the targets BUT suffice it to say that the groups were TERRIBLE! :shock: Just TERRIBLE....maybe this rifle likes highish velocities...but here are the velocities for all three powders, 85gr:

Swiss ffg- 1676fps
Wano ffg- 1375fps
Goex Express- 1438fps

So obviously NEITHER powder is close to Swiss when it comes to performance. I DID notice that the Goex Express did NOT seem to foul the barrel as much as the other two powders. So I decided to load up a charge that was 20% more than the 85gr. 20% more would be 17gr so I rounded it up to a powder charge increase of 20gr OR 105gr each of Wano and Goex Express to see where THAT velocity would be relative to Swiss..

Accuracy was much, MUCH better! VERY good accuracy with the 105gr loads! Muzzle velocity STILL didn't reach the same velocity as the 85gr ffg Swiss though. Here are the targets:

Photo012.JPG

105gr Wano ffg

IMG_0188.JPG

105gr Goex Express

Muzzle velocity 105grs:
Wano ffg- 1472fps
Goex Express ffg- 1610fps

So not even 105grs of Goex Express was the velocity equal of 85gr ffg Swiss. Now of course there IS price... Goex Express and Swiss are both $20.00 per pound and the Wano is $12.00 per pound. It is obvious that the Goex Express is the most expensive powder to shoot. BUT...Swiss is really about the same price per shot as Wano when using velocity equivalent loads...

IMG_0184.JPG

Well you have two of my favorite rifle powders there. Swiss is still the best black powder they make hands down. But I am too cheap to shoot it all the time. The Graf's & Son made by Wano/Schuetzen Powder LLC is really the one powder I shoot a lot.

When Goex had their shortage, I was out of powder so I bought a case of the Graf's to hold me over until Goex could come back into production. Well that was too bad for Goex. I found I really liked Graf's but I also found that I need to push more powder when using anything other then Swiss.

I was told that 2f Swiss is equal to 3f in other powders. Your velocities kind of support that. As for that group.. WOW!! nice shooting with that Swiss.

Excellent report Big6. I have never shot Swiss, but your report has got me thinking that I need to give it a try.

I've been shooting GOEX FFFg in everything - .45s, .50s, .54s and a .58. In my .54 GP flintlock 95 grains gives me averages in the neighborhood of 1550 to 1570 fps under a patched ball.

WARNING... DO NOT SHOOT SWISS POWDER!! It will spoil you rotten and you will never look at Goex or other powders in the same way again. Swiss powder is sweet. Expensive, but sweet. And it is very very consistent, shot to shot.

Semi

I will ask you, chief frugal person that you are, REALLY REALLY pay attention to Dave's warning about Swiss. For your well being it is vital. Do Not buy Swiss

But on second thought you could use it in the Mustang and get hose velocities you can get from T7 and even approach BH speeds...

Semisane said:
Excellent report Big6. I have never shot Swiss, but your report has got me thinking that I need to give it a try.

I've been shooting GOEX FFFg in everything - .45s, .50s, .54s and a .58. In my .54 GP flintlock 95 grains gives me averages in the neighborhood of 1550 to 1570 fps under a patched ball.

Then I certainly recommend Swiss fffg! :D

I tested fffg powders in this very same Trade Rifle .54cal using a patched roundball. Here are the velocities:

85gr fffg Swiss- 1764fps
85gr fffg Goex- 1529fps
85gr fffg Wano- 1481fps

Looks like our velocites with Goex fffg are pretty close! Use LESS Swiss fffg and get the same velocity! I can't imagine you needing more than 70-75gr??

I don't have any Goex Express, but have shot a lot of Goex over the years. I do have some Swiss ffg, Goex ffg, and fffg, KIK ffg, and Elephant ffg, and fffg.

I recently shot some Maxiballs form my Grey Hawk, and found that fffg Goex printed similar sized groups, and the same POI at 50 yards as did Swiss ffg, both 100gr. Neither the Elephant or Goex ffg grouped as well. My observation was that the fffg Goex left softer fouling than did the Swiss. Heavier charges of Goex and Elephant ffg MIGHT have improved groups.

Your testing tells me that I'm not missing out on anything special by not having Goex Express on hand, at least not for the same price as Swiss.

Swiss BP is what was referred to as "rifle powder" during the 19th century, while Goex, Elephant, Wano, and KIK would have been "sporting powders". All have the same ingredients, and same proportions, but the difference is in the quality of ingredients, and time in the wheel mill. It seems that between the manufacturers trying to speed the process, and the EPA likely the problem regarding proper quality charcoal here in the USA, we're not able to duplicate the best BP of years gone by.

Back