Black Diamond XR range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I was asked by a member if I had the time, to do a range report on my Black Diamond XR. So of course I agreed. Anything to shoot. Also I realized that I had not shot the Black Diamond XR in a very very long time.
So here it is.

Thompson Center Black Diamond XR
50 caliber
26 inch blue steel free floating barrel
open breech design hammer striker ignition system
three ignition systems... 209 primer (currently used), musket cap & #11 cap
fiber optic sights
resin plastic type stock with two locking lug nuts to support the barrel
Trophy Woods mount and bases (Cabela's)
Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm scope

4-5-10BDXR019.jpg

Due to some recent rains, and the fact I was wearing tennis shoes and did not want to wade in a large accumulation of water, the target was set at 60 yards. I used the range finder to measure it and got three readings. The most common being 60 yards. I accepted that.

Projectiles to be used would be the 250 grain Hornady XTP in a black Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. The other would be a Traditions Arms (where I purchased them) 350 grain .430 diameter Keith Nose pure lead bullet. This would be nice in states that demand a pure lead bullet.

4-5-10BDXR017.jpg

Starting on a clean barrel only swabbed with alcohol and then a dry patch... I loaded 120 grains of loose Pyrodex RS powder. I then loaded the 250 grain Hornady XTP. I noted while it loaded fine, there was some slight pressure pushing it down the bore. Nothing unacceptable, but I did notice it.

I picked out the center target and shot my six shot group.

4-5-10BDXR013.jpg

As this rifle has always done, it threw the first shot high off a clean barrel. One reason I hunt on a fouled barrel. After that, swabbing between shots with Windex, I shot the next five. The group was more then acceptable. Although perhaps a slight scope adjustment is in order. Although this rifle was sighted in for 75 yards and there was a nasty cross wind from left to right.

Then without swabbing after the sixth shot at the center target, I wanted to shoot under hunting conditions, that is without swabbing the bore. I noted the sabots loaded EASIER then when I swabbed the bore. Although the last shot of the two, kicked like a mule for some reason, knocking backward into my baseball style hat bill and knocking it off my head. The shot did not wander, but I could tell the barrel was really fouled when I cleaned it for the next shooting. In fact after the shot the first place I looked was for the aluminum ramrod the rifle has. Then I remembered, I always load with a range rod. And it was in its place. Why the rifle kicked the way it did, I have no idea. Maybe I was holding it wrong in my hurry to shoot.

4-5-10BDXR012.jpg

The gun was filthy at this point. The claim I always make is it shoots good but is a dirty rifle to shoot.

4-5-10BDXR009.jpg

This photo is with the 209 nipple removed, to show you what a fouled breech really looks like. I know there are people out there striving to make their rifles shoot 99% clean. Well it is not going to happen with this rifle. Although in defense of the rifle, it cleaned up real easy. It just takes a few minutes of your time and can be done on the range.

With the rifle swabbed clean and ready to go. I loaded 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the 350 grain Keith nose lead bullets.

4-5-10BDXR020.jpg

The last two shots were done without swabbing the bore. I should add, these 350 grain Keith nose bullets in a green Harvester crushed rib sabot loaded really EASY. I mean, you ever wonder when a bullet loads so easy whether it will be accurate or not? I honestly thing I could have simply used the ramrod and no short starter to load these projectiles. Also they seemed to have a lot of thump when they were hitting the steel bullet trap. Maybe it was the soft lead ringing out. But this in my area where shots are under 50 yards, would make a heck of a deer load.

Cleaning the Black Diamond XR was as always time consuming. Lets face it, there is a lot of fouling in the breech area and on the scope that needs special attention paid to it. I pay a lot of attention to the breech area of my rifles and since this scope is not on quick release rings (yet), I have to fit my fingers into places my fingers do not like to go. But the barrel itself cleaned up really fast.

Also since I lost the log on the rifle, I had no idea when the trigger was cleaned last. I took the time to do it right and clean the trigger assembly, spray the rifle barrel down with brake cleaner and scrub it. Once the rifle was back to its beautiful condition it was oiled up and put away.

Over all the Black Diamond XR was not really a surprise to me. It shot like it always does... real well and dirty. This is an accurate rifle, but if your more interested in a rifle that is clean to shoot and easy to clean, this is not the rifle for you. If you want a dependable rifle that goes off each time, and shoots a variety of projectiles well and is because of the ignition system legal in I believe all states... this is a good choice if your willing to clean it at the end of the day.

Nice report Dave....
I am curious.....
You have a White....
How does the blow back compare between the TC and the White?

I never shoot the White with a 209 primer. I always use a #11 cap. The White does also foul. Its a common problem with the open breech rifles.

My old ThunderHawk 54 wasnt too bad unless you used the 209 Flame Thrower conversion and over 90gr of Pyro. Light round ball loads werent bad at all but i never really shot it much besides sight in and hunting.

Sold it shortly after the 209 conversion too.

Its the main reason i bought the LK93, i miss the old simple plunger style and its a bit cleaner.

My two LK's get dirty but nothing compared to the Black Diamond. If the rifle were not such a good shooter, I would have sold it off long ago. I even had the chance to do so, but was hunting fields that year and wanted the rifle for the long range stuff.

I limit my range sessions with my Black Daimond XR to 10 rounds. Mostly so as not to burn through my avaiable supplies too quickly. I've never used the 209 module in mine ( never had need to) but I've used both the #11's and muskets.The flame thrower nipples are the cause of the excessive blowback.The 3 ports on the nipple are rather large and permit ALOT of gas to come back.I switched to single port nipples and got a much cleaner breech and another 100 fps ( chrono'd) with the same load.I occasionally shoot Triple 7, but Swiss 3f is the most accurate and consistent powder in this rifle.I'd like to use # 11's but the heavy striker blow destroys the caps.Generally all that is left is a copper disc over the mouth of the nipple.The rest gone to God knows where.My XR is my go to rifle for anything needing a bullet.Its accuracy and consistency are superb.I just wish she'd shoot full caliber lead as well as she does sabots. Sabots are generally in the 3/4 to 1 3/8 inch ( 3 rounders at 100 yards) but the full bores I've tried struggle to stay under 4 inches.Adequate , but not comparable and certainly not worth the recoil...

Confederate rifleman... have you tried the .503 No Excuses Conical bullets out of your BDXR? Mine shoots them very well.

Nope, havent tried them . I've tried Lee REALS ( 320's) Lee minies and T/C Maxi's.I'd kinda like to use a design for which molds are available.The full calibers are a "just in case" thing.Who knows what restrictions muzzleloaders may be subjected to someday and it seems prudent to have a backup.I am surprised by the accuracy difference between sabots and lead in the BD.My P-53 Enfield shooting Lyman 575213OS over 70 gr of 3f Swiss will keep 10 under 3 inches at 100 with the issue sights all day. I'd be in high clover if I could get my Diamond to do that with lead.Another thing, whats the proper alloy for using cast in sabots? I tried pure but the silly things obturate in the sabots and grow into the slots between the petals.Recovered .45's mike at .475 across these fins and accuracy is poor.I'd like to have good expansion, but obviously pure is too soft.Any ideas?

CR
I spent a lot of time trying to get the 320 REAL bullet work in my BD. Terrible reults; fliers and poor groups.
I believe the problem is the mold does not consistently cast perfectly concentric bullets and at the fast twist, they are unstable. I don't have a mike, but if I size the bullets, u can see that some are non-concentric.

I can shoot the same REAL bullet out of my hawken and get one hole groups at 40 yds with out sorting or any thing. So I stopped trying to get the REAL bullet to work in fast twist guns.

I shot a few of the 460 NE bullets at 40 yds with the BD and they seem to work well. Better quality than my REAL bullets! :)

I want to be able to make my own full bore conicals, in case it is hard to get ammo in the future, so I got a mould and once the other stuff arrives, I will make some.

I might be wrong, but I think your best bet to make your own full bore lead bullet that is accurate in your BD is to get a custom mould for a 420+ grain bullet.

Back