Another Encore Problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlnfshr1

Reaction score
A friend has an Encore muzzleloader that he just installed the Belm hinge pin and hammer spring on. Before this he had sighted in the barrel dead on at 100yds with 2- 777 pellets and the 300gr Barnes expander bullets. Shot at a deer at 40 yds the other evening and missed so he went to the range to check everything out. At 50 yds he was 6" high, so he adjusted his scope to be dead on @ 50yds. When he shot at 100yds, he was 6" low. Now I know that load doesnt drop 6" between 50 and 100yds so it must have something to do with his scope mounting. I believe he has a Leupold Vari-X II mounted with Weaver rings on a one piece Weaver base. Anyway, he says that the screw pattern on the base matches up fine with the barrel but the forward end of the base is unsupported due to the taper of the barrel. What have been your experiences with mounts on these guns and which bases are you using?

This is not all that uncommon. Both my 1 piece bases have a gap at the objective end. I have never had any problems with mine. Although I've always thought it was incorrect. There was a discussion about this on another board a while back, and the consensus was, that it didn't affect the accuracy. I can't recall which brand mine are. You'd think the base could match the barrel contour a little better. :huh?:

I have no experience with the Encore but if the front 1/2 of the base is free to move up and down, the scope has to be moving in relation to the barrel. Does it return to the exact same place after recoil would be my concern? If the base is not solid under the front ring I feel this is a bad situation.

mrlnfshr1 said:
At 50 yds he was 6" high, so he adjusted his scope to be dead on @ 50yds. When he shot at 100yds, he was 6" low. Now I know that load doesnt drop 6" between 50 and 100yds so it must have something to do with his scope mounting.
I would not say for certain that he has a mount problem. He dropped his sights and then hit low,which is what it should do. Since there is no way to know for sure what happened to the first shot,I would suggest starting at 25 yds and working up. Shoot 3 shot groups adding 25 yds between groups and see what happens.

Charlie

I suggest bedding under the front portion of the base.

My base has a gap at the front and I have no problems with mine at all. I never even thought about it before but mine seems fine :?

Groups are fine. The fact that there is a difference of 6" over 50 yds suggests to me that the scope isn't mounted parallel with the barrel. Thinking out loud here, is there a front and back to the one piece mount as well as a slight taper to the mount? If so and it is mounted backwards, it would'nt allow the scope to be mounted parallal to the barrel, therefore dramatically affecting POI at different ranges.

If the groups are fine ,I would not think the base is moving (flexing or whatever) Where does it impact at 25 and 75? there should be a pattern. You very well could be right about the base. Either backwards or defective.

Charlie

I doubt it is a QLA problem-LOL

i also had an issue with CHEAP bases and rings ..got a quality LEOPOLD base and rings [ solid STEEL ] and all of my problems were solved .

Doesn't make sense. If the groups at 50 and 100 yards are fine, then there is no issue with the scope or mounts. What he does have an issue with is probably forearm pressure due to changing rest position/hold.

Tell him to sight in at 100 yards then fire a carefully shot group. Drop back to 50 and fire a carefully shot group. In each case, he should take the same rest and grip on the forearm. Then try group(s) changing forearm pressure by adjusting where he has it rested or held or both. If the group changes in location significantly by changing forearm pressure - wallah!

If that is the problem, install two washers inside the forearm to float the barrel as much as possible. Also, eliminate any contact from the aft part of the forearm with the action (sanding will do it). Hopefully that will minimize the effects of varying forearm pressure.

When he installed the Bellm pin, did he have to ream the holes at all?

Latest posts

Back