Powder Measures

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitfire100

Reaction score
A friend of mine loaded Triple 7 powder in the U View at 100grs and weighed it on the scale. It comes to 85grs by volume. Has anyone weighed 100grs of BH209 from a U view to see what it weighs by volume?

spitfire100

A friend of mine loaded Triple 7 powder in the U View at 100grs and weighed it on the scale. It comes to 85grs by volume.

I am hoping you meant to say the powder was 85 grains by weight.

Even them that is to much... According to hodg... 100 grains of T7-2f should weigh about 77.7 grains - hence the name tripe seven.

This thread might give a thought about the weight of BH...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9234

This is the one that I use and it is very consistent...

https://secure.tcarms.com/store/hunters ... -7048.html

Mike, I called them when BH first came out and they sent me a can and if I remember correctly they said .7 to 1 was the factor. If I am remembering correctly and figuring right that would be 70 by weight to 100 by volume.
Lee

All I know is when I weighed out 100 grains of loose Triple Seven 2f (volume) it came out on an average of 78 or 79 grains. I figured that was pretty close.

For me:
T7 - 100v = 79 of 3F weighed
BH209 - 100v = 70 weighed.

Yes. Correct. I meant to say 100gr in the U View was equal to 85gr by weight. I have not measured it myself personally, but I use BH209 and Triple 7 loose and only use the U view to measure at 100 grains. Everything I read says this is an acceptable load. I'm going to weigh them both next chance I get. Thanks for the thread.

Just to be clear. 100gr by volume of BH 209 or Triple 7 is safe in either the CVA Accura or the TC Triumph, correct? I have not shot the Accura yet...still new in the box. The CVA owners manual says max load 100grs.

Thank you. TC really pushes the BH 209 along with CCI primers. IT was not that great in my Triumph, but lets see how it works in the Accura.

cayuga

Agree... 77.7 is pretty close to 78...

spitfire100

Just to be clear. 100gr by volume of BH 209 or Triple 7 is safe in either the CVA Accura or the TC Triumph, correct?

Absolutely correct.... 100grs of BH by volume as compared to T7... the Bh will less pressure at any given time than does T7, but because BH is progressive it will create more pressure in total... I am a terrible writer but it is safe and fine in either rifle...

Do you guys shake the measures to settle the powder when you are filling them- I know it doesn't really matter as long as you do it the same way every time. I just fill my measure for each load then pour it, but have noticed that I can settle it another 5 or 10 grains if you flick it a few times. Dumb question I know, but I was just wondering.

I shake the U View a tad or just tap it so I dont brush powder off the top and onto the floor when I close it.

How much does T7 FFFg weigh per 100 grains volume? Maybe your friend had 3F?

Win 209A primers are a little longer and seal great in my Accry! :D

I'm pretty sure he told me it was FFG Triple 7, but I'll ask him. I tried the Win 209 Triple 7 seven primers and they were not enough to fire the Triple 7 pellets or loose powder. I switched to CCI and it was a lot better. I will try the Accura this weekend I hope.

:D 8) :)

I weighted 2 Pyrodex pellets on a grain scale and they came out around 78/79 grains. By volume they are 100 grains. I weighted APP GOLD, 100 grains in the u-view, comes out to 85 grains on the grain scale. I do not use or have ever used fffg powder...44 cal and below. I shoot a .50 cal...ffg powder only.
The manual for the CVA ACCURA states that the ACCURAS can handle the 3- .50 cal pellets because it will handle the "magnum load". It also states that the MAX LOOSE POWDER LOAD IS 100 GRAINS.
If your using a powder measurer and measure 100 grains of any powder, its 100 grains no matter what. Doesn't matter what kind of powder your using. 100 grains is a 100 grains. :!: :!: :!:
I use the u-view and I weigh all of my chargers. I like to be consistant. All of my premeasured charges are within 1 grain of each other. :yeah:

I have several powder measures and when I load up 100 grn and weigh them the difference is quite a bit.
I think I'll do a test.

Hawg. I understand your point. I only have a U View so far so that's all I use and it's set to 100 grains. I use BH 209 and Triple 7. I also have Triple 7 pellets.

hawgslayer said:
:D 8) :)

I weighted 2 Pyrodex pellets on a grain scale and they came out around 78/79 grains. By volume they are 100 grains. I weighted APP GOLD, 100 grains in the u-view, comes out to 85 grains on the grain scale. I do not use or have ever used fffg powder...44 cal and below. I shoot a .50 cal...ffg powder only.
The manual for the CVA ACCURA states that the ACCURAS can handle the 3- .50 cal pellets because it will handle the "magnum load". It also states that the MAX LOOSE POWDER LOAD IS 100 GRAINS.
If your using a powder measurer and measure 100 grains of any powder, its 100 grains no matter what. Doesn't matter what kind of powder your using. 100 grains is a 100 grains. :!: :!: :!:
I use the u-view and I weigh all of my chargers. I like to be consistant. All of my premeasured charges are within 1 grain of each other. :yeah:

Why on earth would 150 grain of pellets be ok but not 150 grains of loose powder? makes no sense to me...

This is a question I had as well, but it is what the owners manual states. 100grs of loose max or 3 pellets which are 50grs each.

Latest posts

Back