New Wildlife Phenomena Brings Together Wild Pigs, Raccoons and Possum

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I received this photo from a friend who lives in the Maryland-Virginia area. As far as I know, this is a legitimate photo and if it is, we have a very unique interaction of wildlife.
racoon riding wild pig against possums.jpg

Coronaviruses? Riots? Why is the media not covering the fact that Raccoons are breaking wild hogs and riding them into battle against the possums?

Ron

I received this photo from a friend who lives in the Maryland-Virginia area. As far as I know, this is a legitimate photo and if it is, we have a very unique interaction of wildlife.
View attachment 2208

Coronaviruses? Riots? Why is the media not covering the fact that Raccoons are breaking wild hogs and riding them into battle against the possums?

Ron
WOW! A 3 course meal...great stew!

I remain skeptical, Ron. I could be wrong, but probably not, but it looks photo shopped. And I've never been wrong before in my life. Well, actually I was wrong once many years ago, but it was on purpose just so I could see what it felt like. :cheers:

Ron
Does the fishing pole and tackle go to the winner ??? o_O :p :oops:

I tried to enlarge the photo to examine its photoshoppiness, but the grainy quality didn't yield any more detail that the smaller photo.
So, Hanshi may be .....ri......rig......right. It's tough to say it.:cool:

Well, Ron; sometimes it's best to just blurt it out. But I do know how tough it is to say; others have told me the same thing. Hmmm...wonder what they actually meant? :eek:

I tried to enlarge the photo to examine its photoshoppiness, but the grainy quality didn't yield any more detail that the smaller photo.
So, Hanshi may be .....ri......rig......right. It's tough to say it.:cool:
RonC, Hanshi is always right...just ask him;)

I don't believe I've ever heard of wild hogs here in Maryland. Never heard of them close by over the Virginia line either. It does not mean some don't exist. Maybe some do that I never heard about.
Not sure that big ole' hawg would tolerate that coon riding ''piggy back'' on him.(pun not intended) Several things in that picture just don't look on the up and up.
Hey, but I've been wrong before.

Here is another???
racoon riding wild pig against possums2.jpg

The ACLU represented the possums for undue violence against possums - PLM - "POSSUM LIVES MATTER"!

Hmmm...I've heard of "monkeys" riding dogs, ponies and other critters but never a coon or possum. And yes, I'm always right. Don't believe it? Then just ask me.

Georgia is "et up" with wild hogs. I used to live near an area full of them; but I never hunted them. Possums are cute and make lovable pets. The wildest thing I ever rode was an ex-girlfriend. Uhhh...I didn't mean to actually post that. :eek:

Those look like collared peccaries to me and not bigger wild hogs. There's no way a big old coon is riding on the back of a 40 pound peccary.
You are right! They are collared peccaries!
"In the southern United States, herds occur in Saguaro deserts, where they prefer mesquite habitats with an abundance of prickly pear cacti. Collared Peccaries have also become common in residential areas, where they may rely on human handouts for food." So, in Maryland and Virginia, they would only survive on human handouts.
These photos, if photoshopped, are a mighty good job.
Ron

I also tagged them as peccaries right away; body shape gives it away.

I no longer hunt or shoot raccoons; already done my share years ago. I did have one's head mounted way, way back. I've had so many encounters with them that I consider them to be just what they are, extremely intelligent little guys. I have a soft spot for possums.

I've never seen a peccary in the wild so its identity didn't jump out at me. Have they ever turned up in the East Coast states?
Ron

If it is a peccary, could the thing on its back be a coati mundi a relative of the raccoon?

Sorry guys, but a coon under a feeder does nothing but eat and very aggressively ! They are not social by any means with any other critter in the wilds. I have to agree that the photos with the hogs or peccaries are both photoshopped. I deal a lot with both hogs and coons under feeders.....

Latest posts

Back