I shot the Remington 700 ML today - FINALLY

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I have been trying to get out to shoot the 45 cal Rem for a couple of days now since I am retired again, but the rain just kept coming... - wheat farmers hate it.

Got up again this morning with the intentions of going to the farm early to shoot - but again rain... About 9:30 it seemed to clear up grabbed all mt gear and headed to the farm. I really did not have much time as we are headed to Kennewick this afternoon also - but I told Terry it would be short and quick and I would be right back.

This is the first time I have ever shot a 45 Remington 700 ml or even this Remington. I was a used gun bought off Guns America.

Got everything set up and decided to start right away with 110 grains of T7-2f, a Harvester light blue sabot and a Hornady .40/200 grain XTP...

First two shots I was less than impressed but need to remember - I am just starting. But anyway decided to switch to the MMP light tan sabot - they did seem to fit tighter. Shot a 3 shot group that was sorta OK. Adjusted the scope - moved the target to 50 yards and shot a 5 shot group with the Lehigh and MMP. That I could live with...

Moved the target to 100, as I was in hurry to get this done and get back to the house before I got in a lot of trouble on the home front. Stayed with the Lehighs and the MMP's - shot # 1 was totally my fault - tried to move the gun a bit with my finger on the trigger... Shot #2 landed where thought it should or might with the scope corrections that I had made... Shots 3 & 4 were cloverleafed but an 1 or so away from 2.

8-1445calRemTargetLabel.jpg

Then just for the heck of it decided I wanted to shoot @ something way out there. This portion of the wheat field had ben havested late last week so I was looking for some thing to use as a target. I had the Powder Horn set on 10 power and was looking for something to aim at. I was leaning over the rail of the bed of the pickup, I found a bare soil spot and decided that looked good. So I loaded up one more time and thought I would go after after the dirt spot. Leaned over the bed of the pickup took my shot. I aimed right on the spot with the primary cross hair and touched it off. I was on but low... Tried one more time and called it quits for the day.

Oh by the way the wind was horrible, but I was not going to let it ruin my day...

The distance of the shot lased out to 242 yards. Here a couple of pics. You can see my range finder laying on the POI and the 2 marks where the bullets hit. Think I could have done better if I had not already put the bench and bags away. I just leaned over the rail of pickup bed and took the shots. I was surprised they were in the area left and right as bad as the wind was blowing + it was blowing down on the bullets flight path.

242ydDingerFarm.jpg

It was fun - but I hate shooting when I am in a hurry - hope to have a better report next time...

For a first day out, I think you did very well. I think that rifle is going to tune in just fine. What is your over all impression of the Cabela's scope?

Sabotloader, Looks like a good start, you going to fly to AR and hunt a few pigs with it?
Are you going to try some BH in that 45? I am kind of curious about that as I found a place where I can get a good custom barrel in 45 caliber for my Endeavor. Lee

cayuga

Dave, I did put that cabelas on this gun, and to be honest with you it did not knoch my socks off, but this was a very quick shoot.

I do remember when i was on 10 power looking for something to shoot it sure was clear and sharp. I still need to try shooting in low light, when i tested it one evening just looking on the deck it really worked well, but that was not actually shooting...

Right now i would rate it 8-9 of 10, but the jury is still out...

Lee 9

I will shoot BH in it - I am just starting to wring the kinks out of it. Wish I had more time today to do more - hope fully next time I will find out more about the gun and what it likes.

I was debating a scope for my Green Mountain .45 caliber LRH and have considered that scope. I am one of these that hate to spend a fortune on a scope. Only because of the kind of shooting I do. I even have considered a Simmons Pro Diamond but I was thinking long range with this barrel. That was why the Cabelas was interesting. Thanks for the opinion. Maybe down the road you can judge it even more. How was the eye relief?

cayuga

Dave you would love the eye relief. 4"+ even on 10 power. For a really inexpensive scope I think it is a good scope. I would rate it quite a bit better than the Bushnell Trophies that i have had in the past.

Lee 9 said:
Sabotloader, Looks like a good start, you going to fly to AR and hunt a few pigs with it?
Are you going to try some BH in that 45? I am kind of curious about that as I found a place where I can get a good custom barrel in 45 caliber for my Endeavor. Lee

Hi Lee,
Fill us in on the details of what barrel you found...

squirrelhawker said:
Lee 9 said:

Hi Lee,

Hi Squirrelhawker
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=455
It is a Bergara barrel and quite in demand they are back ordered until some time in Sept. I want to see if I can get one in the Endeavor configuration. Lee

Lee 9 said:
squirrelhawker said:
Lee 9 said:

Hi Lee,

Hi Squirrelhawker
http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=455
It is a Bergara barrel and quite in demand they are back ordered until some time in Sept. I want to see if I can get one in the Endeavor configuration. Lee

You would think Thompson would offer that in a 45. I checked out the Bergara site....looks like a good product. You would think green mountain would get into offering stuff for the encores..I guess just not enough demand?

Latest posts

Back