trying to choose a muzzle loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagebrush

Reaction score
i want to get a new muzzle loader, has to be a traditional. I have been looking at either the Lyman GPH, or Pedersoli Rocky mountian hawken. Right now Midway will sell me the GPH for $408 My Birthday present discount price. an extra barrel will cost another $117.00 (1-60 twist) so I could shoot either concial or PRB's with the rifle. roughly $550 for this one with shipping cost added.

The pedersoli runs $999.99 at cableas for the maple stock and with $350.00 off this price (i have saved points) so price is $650 +tax would bring it to almost $700 the pedersoli is supposed to be a better rifle. both are hawken style.

so does anyone have both rifles mentioned above?

I already have the lyman trade rifle I put a GM 32" 1-70 twist on it for PRB shooting. The stock barrel I do not like to use because it is a cheek slapper. You can only shoot a few rounds before it starts to get sore on the cheek area. the stock is too straight back, needs more of a drop like the GPH/pedersoli rifles.

I have a GP flintlock in .54 caliber slow twist and love it. I doubt that the Pedersoli shoots any better than the GP, but it sure is a nice looking gun.

If the difference in price is no big deal to you, I would go with the Pedersoli. However, if you want the option of a fast twist and a slow twist barrel, the GP is the only way to go.

Now, to answer a question you didn't ask. Have you ever shot a flintlock? No? Well get one dang-it! :lol:

Now don't get me wrong. Both are great rifles. BUT I heard a real horror story about Pedersolli and their service department. Enough that I might not look in that direction. Still I might add, one persons horror story can have a lot of things they leave out of the story. Still it did concern me over their lack of concern the poster described.

I have a trade rifle and love it. I also have shot the GPR and really liked that. Now that Pedersolli is a top quality rifle. If I were going that high up the food chain, I'd kick in a couple hundred more and go custom.

I guess of the two mentioned, I would look at the Lyman. But this is just my opinion.

Not what you asked about, but I would go for an 1863 Springfield musket repro. Those 58 caliber minies make big holes!

Latest posts

Back