Knight MK 85 Blued Barrell-Walnut Stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
What does everyone think this gun new in box is worth? I had one of these and lost it, I have located a couple new in the box, I would like to replace the one for sentimental value reasons, probably would never use it. But I think they are a little high at $366.17. What do you folks think? THANKS

I paid more than that over 20 years ago for mine, if that tells you anything? :lol:

Are they the older originals, or are they the later ones with Green Mountain barrels?

They sure aren't making any more of them, but I would try to get them to come down about 50%. You should be able to find one in near perfect condition for $200 or less these days.

I guess it all boils down to how bad you really want one?

Mine was $535 plus tax - whenever it was I got. Man that seems like alot of money!

frontier gander said:
good lord :shock:

FG,

You were probably still in diapers when I bought my MK-85 twenty some years ago! :twisted:

The Knights were KING OF THE INLINES back then, and were built by craftsmen, not slapped together like the muzzleloaders are today.

but $500!!! i dont care what quality it was back then lol, they were the first to offer them so they were able to charge that kind of price.

frontier gander said:
but $500!!! i dont care what quality it was back then lol, they were the first to offer them so they were able to charge that kind of price.

In those days, you would have been toting a CVA Blazer with "Poly Patched" round balls and writing letters to Rick Hacker asking why he wasn't writing about one. :lol:

I have two mk-85s and the big brown truck is going to bring me my third today. The two I already have have the laminated stocks and the one I am getting today has the walnut stock.
You have to look at what you get with the mk-85. The barrel is cut rifled, the trigger is super out of the box and adjustable to your needs. The fit and finish of the rifle is superior to any others I have owned. To me the gun is a real pleasure to shoot.
Some people don't like the plunger type action. I find its simplicity to be refreshing in today's world of gadgetry. The gun is easy to break down and clean and when you clean it you know its clean, there are no hidden parts that are hiding fowling.
I was looking at a very early ss model at a gunshop the other day. It has a laminated thumbhole stock and a barrel that pre dated the green mountain barrels. It is one sweet looking gun. I held off (for now).
You might find a NIB one for less money billyzinc but its a matter of when. If you want it buy it. Let's get the economy humming again. But don't make a closet queen out of it. It is wanting to be shot!
Art

flounder said:
I have two mk-85s and the big brown truck is going to bring me my third today. The two I already have have the laminated stocks and the one I am getting today has the walnut stock.
You have to look at what you get with the mk-85. The barrel is cut rifled, the trigger is super out of the box and adjustable to your needs. The fit and finish of the rifle is superior to any others I have owned. To me the gun is a real pleasure to shoot.
Some people don't like the plunger type action. I find its simplicity to be refreshing in today's world of gadgetry. The gun is easy to break down and clean and when you clean it you know its clean, there are no hidden parts that are hiding fowling.
I was looking at a very early ss model at a gunshop the other day. It has a laminated thumbhole stock and a barrel that pre dated the green mountain barrels. It is one sweet looking gun. I held off (for now).
You might find a NIB one for less money billyzinc but its a matter of when. If you want it buy it. Let's get the economy humming again. But don't make a closet queen out of it. It is wanting to be shot!
Art
Where did you find the walnut one? Was it new?

It is used. I bought it on a auction site. Umm, I think you know which one.
Art

mparks said:
frontier gander said:

In those days, you would have been toting a CVA Blazer with "Poly Patched" round balls and writing letters to Rick Hacker asking why he wasn't writing about one. :lol:

the muzzleloading hunter! best darned book i ever paid $3 for! he does mention the cva blazer. It was the first muzzleloader i owned! LOL.

I paid 440 bucks for mine back in 1987. I have the walther barrel and laminated stock version. i love my mk85

Hi deer655
Could you tell me how to identify the walther barrel? I have an mk-85 dating back to 1987 I would guess. It is the blued barrel with a laminated stock.It has six lands and grooves. The recoil lug is dovetailed into the reciever instead of welded. I think the barrel has a 1 in 32 inch twist. The stock is "slimmer" than on the newer ones. I really love that gun.
Art

My 54cal MK 85 came with a fully adjustable Timney trigger and the McMillan composite stock. It has been a sweetheart and has killed many deer by me and others that I trust enough to loan it to.
It is also the only gun that I have ever had my forehead kissed by. You must remember to hang on to that gun when you pull the trigger or you will have a headache. :shock:
DC

billyzink said:
What does everyone think this gun new in box is worth? I had one of these and lost it, I have located a couple new in the box, I would like to replace the one for sentimental value reasons, probably would never use it. But I think they are a little high at $366.17. What do you folks think? THANKS
I got them to come down $50 on each gun but had to take them both, they shipped for free though, after arrival and inspection I will probably be trying to sell one of them, especially if my wife finds out!!! Really had to replace this one in my collection!!! Still think I paid too much though, but atleast it is new in the box and I know what I am getting.

flounder said:
Did they say what the blemish was?
The guy said he looked at them and could not find any issues, I will look them over closely when they get here. Hope he was straight with me.

Flounder: When I was getting ready to buy this gun I called knight muzzleloading and actually got to speak to Tony Knight. He was the one who told me of the walther barrels. I am not exactly sure what you are calling the "recoil lug" . My gun is a 1 in 28. This gun with the laminated stock fits me better then any gun I own. Sorry for giving you a lousy answer with no definitive answer on how I know mine is a walther barrel other then Knights word that that was what they had. It sure has been a deer thumper.

Maybe my term isn't right . I mean where the stock is attached to the reciever. That block of steel is dovetailed into the reciever on mine instead of welded like any other one I have seen. I would figure mine is a hair earlier than yours since it has a slightly slower twist. It sure shoots the 250 grain xtp's well. The serial # on mine is in the 2800's. I am almost positive it is not a green mountain barrel.
I sure would like to see a picture of your barrel, expecially the crown on it.
Art

I believe that the Walther's were a 1 in 32 twist. When they switched to the 1 in 28 twist they switched to Green Mountain barrels. This is what I have found in my research which is not extensive.

Latest posts

Back