Remington Genesis- Doing something wrong?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THBailey

Reaction score
One of my partners and his buddy drew Colorado for muzzle loader and are complete newbies. I volunteered to take them out to the range for a brief intro into our sport. The buddy brought a never been kissed Remington Genesis. I let my partner borrow one of my trusty old TC New Englanders. We were using 370 gr TC Maxi Balls in both .50 cal rifles. The Genesis had a short counter bore of about 1/2 inch or so at the muzzle, I assume a loading aid. The base of the Maxi's seemed to hang up at the transition from the counter bore to the barrel. Were we skipping a step or did the Spanish barrel maker forget to taper the shoulder at the transition? Thanks, THB

Mine has no taper either. What I found is.. set the conial in place, and with your short starter, holding that conical as straight to the bore as possible, smack the short starter good and hard to get it to go past that point. Once past, they load easy. I even thought about taking the rifle to a gun smith and with grinding tool, taper that end down a little.

My Genesis did not shoot the maxihunter very well. It did much better with .503 BullShop 460 grain conical and 80 grains of powder.

Thanks for the replies. It was our experience also that once the base of the bullet made it into the barrel the rest followed easily. But try as we might it was pretty tough to put the bullet in without bunging the base up a bit. I can only imagine trying to do it while laying behind a log trying to stay out of sight from that monster mulie whose looking around wondering what that big noise was. Thanks for the tip on the load, I will pass it on. THB

cayuga said:
Mine has no taper either. What I found is.. set the conial in place, and with your short starter, holding that conical as straight to the bore as possible, smack the short starter good and hard to get it to go past that point. Once past, they load easy. I even thought about taking the rifle to a gun smith and with grinding tool, taper that end down a little.

My Genesis did not shoot the maxihunter very well. It did much better with .503 BullShop 460 grain conical and 80 grains of powder.

I agree with Dave. A gunsmith should be able to take care of that pretty easily with a crowning tool.

Back